I purchased my Canon EOS 7D, now I need lens. Help.

Lens preference

• Total voters
Seriously? You bought a Canon 28-135 with a pokey f/3.5 to f/5.6 maximum aperture for a 1.6x ultra-high density sensored 7D??? An old, film-era, pre-digital lens on Canon's newest, state of the art digital slr body....hmmm....one of the primary criteria was "practical and good."

The "practical part" went right out the window with the 28mm bottom end.

Um, some of us can't afford better lens at the moment. And plus, it was the best deal I could find for my budget. The EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS turned out to be more expensive.

Also, instead of getting seemingly annoyed at "my decision," I'd rather you have actually suggested what I should get or should have gotten, like the original thread had asked.

Thank you.

Seriously? You bought a Canon 28-135 with a pokey f/3.5 to f/5.6 maximum aperture for a 1.6x ultra-high density sensored 7D??? An old, film-era, pre-digital lens on Canon's newest, state of the art digital slr body....hmmm....one of the primary criteria was "practical and good."

The "practical part" went right out the window with the 28mm bottom end.

:er:

His point is that you will likely not find the lens wide enough at 28mm... You will find yourself stepping back quite a bit... The kit lens isnt so bad just not that wide... I think alot of people go with the tokina/tamron route for good quality at a reasonable price. Might take a look at these... (not macro .. good general use..) I have owned different lenses from both manufacturers and seem like the quality..

AF016M700 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF) Standard Zoom Lens for the Maxxum & Sony Alpha Mount, 6 Year USA Warranty
ATX165PRODXC Tokina 16mm - 50mm F/2.8 Pro DX Autofocus Zoom Lens for Canon EOS Digital SLR Cameras
AFB005NII700 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II VC (Vibration Compensation) LD Aspherical (IF) Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital DSLR's, 6 Year USA Warranty

x

Last edited:
x

Last edited:
Firstly, Canon EOS 7D is a camera for advanced amateur, it's called prosumer DSLR. Beginners are better off buying entry level models like EOS 450D/Rebel XSi, 500D/Rebel T1i or 550D/Rebel T2i. 7D is pretty advanced and pricier than all these models. Therefore, lot of reading and practicing will be necessary to master this equipment.

On lenses. All Canon EF and EFs lenses are accepted by 7D. Which glasses the user should buy depends largely on the type of photography he/she is after. For example, portraiture needs one kind of lens while landscape needs another. So, if one can specify his/her needs, recommendations become easier.

Most reactions

Back