I really should know this, but ... I don't

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm going to be secure in my manhood and mature and strong, and ... admit I don't completely know what I'm doing with this thing and am having a hard time understanding the rather cryptic (to me) instructions I've found, even from the manufacturer.

So, I'm fairly sure I know how to use this part of the thing (the color checker doodad):
IMG_0351.jpg

But not this part of the thing (the WB target gahizzmo):
IMG_0352.jpg

Is this a tool to be used in camera, or more of a sampling point in LR? So I take a shot of the WB target with the strobes, model holds it next to his/her face, with it facing the (camera/strobe?). Is this then used in-camera with the camera controls/menus to get the WB or do I use the eyedropper in LR to sample it? Or is sampling the second from right white panel sufficient (as I saw in one of x-rite's vids)

You can use it either way. Take a photo of it (raw file) and in LR use that as a WB reference by sampling the card. And/or use it to set a custom WB on camera.

Joe

Never be afraid of that! I get so frustrated at Lightroom and other software, and post about it. And we all know what a he-man woman-hater I am!!

no clue. You know as much as me about it. Prolly more. i dont even have lightroom. i know nothn

It actually allows you to do a LOT more than just set WB ('though that's it's main use). If you haven't already, download the LR plug-in. Also spend some time on X-rite's 'site and learn about it. It's too expensive and useful a toy not to take advantage of.

It actually allows you to do a LOT more than just set WB ('though that's it's main use). If you haven't already, download the LR plug-in. Also spend some time on X-rite's 'site and learn about it. It's too expensive and useful a toy not to take advantage of.

Well I have the plugin for the color checker and have managed to kind of get that down ... but the WB target just seems kind of cryptic ... maybe more you tubing is in order, LOL. Still can't figger where I'm supposed to point the WB card!

To set a custom white balance in your camera: take a picture of the white thing, but make sure to fill the frame with it. If you're using a flash, it should fire when you take the photo. Then go in and find the "set custom white balance" setting and choose that photo. Then set your white balance to the pinball paddles with a square.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if that is how your are supposed to use your fancy toy, but it works for the simple toys.

I build a color profile with it from a session and use that with my workflow in ACR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back