I really struggled with this senior session...

Lacey Anne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.laceyanne.photoreflect.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you ever go to a shoot and you're just not into it? That's how I felt at this shoot. These are the first few that I've edited and I'm thinking I'm going to ask them to do a reshoot. I'd really have loved to put him in a more urban setting anyway.
So why wasn't I into this session? About two hours before I went I asked my husband to move out. I should have rescheduled.:(
Well, be as harsh as you like with the C&C.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0039bw.jpg

Do you still see the yellow/green color casts on the first two? I've been working on them and I think I can't see them properly anymore. That green grass reflects so horribly... And yes, they're quite soft. I really f**ked up this shoot. :(

You already know my critique - soft.
Not sure I like the composition in #3.. maybe it's the door handle. Not sure.

I'm sorry to hear about you and your husband.. :( I think you're brave for not rescheduling! I don't think I would have been able to manage it.

Holy softness, Batman! Seriously, what happened with the focus?

I say chalk this one up to not being in the right frame of mind. Apologize to your subject and do a reshoot.

Hope things work out for you and your husband :hug::

I'd really have loved to put him in a more urban setting anyway.... Well, be as harsh as you like with the C&C.

ehhh.... OK....

Before you worry about urban vs rural setting and such, you need to spend much more time on lighting. Learn how to light portraits and how to recognize good portrait lighting on location. Then work on posing. I think those should be your priorities.

About two hours before I went I asked my husband to move out.

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope it all works out for you.

-Pete

if it were me, i would not show these images. i would explain the circumstances and offer a reshoot. it's not every day that you separate from your husband! i'm sure they will understand.
plus definitely give them a gift to apologise for the inconvenience - maybe a print or if it were me, i'd give a mini storyboard.
you already know that the focus fell on his shirt in these shots.
hugs and wishes :)

I think that the softness, as mentioned, is the main issue and not the lighting. While the blowouts are distracting, I imagine this customer wouldn't mind that as much as his face not being in focus.

I am imagining you were using a fast lens opened all the way up to the lowest F-Stop. I would recommend lowering your Aperture to like an f8, and you'll have a greater depth of field and be able to keep the focus on the shirt AND the face.

It might help with the blowouts too.

I

I do understand lighting, actually. I always shoot in natural light. I was just all over the map that day. I'm going to do a reshoot next week. Hopefully, I'll be out of my slump by then. They were very understanding.

As far as the husband... Us being done is about as worked out as I want it to get. Things have been really crappy for a long time. I just needed to get the courage to tell him to get out.

I think that the softness, as mentioned, is the main issue and not the lighting. While the blowouts are distracting...

You're confusing exposure and lighting.

Lighting refers to other things.... quality of light, direction of light, ratio of light, control of light and an overall lighting scheme.

For example, let's look at the second image. The lighting is pretty much flat, mostly due to a light source just under the lens. It seems to be a slightly different color temperature than the rest of the lighting. Typically, lighting this flat is not a good choice for portraiture. A short lighting scheme would have been a better choice. And there's some stray light falling onto arms and hands. Then, there's the issue of subject to background lighting ratio... not such a good choice of settings, especially with the selected clothing.

Combine all this with weak posing, angle of view and choice of focal legnth, and the softness concern takes a back seat. Focus is an easy fix.

-Pete

Most reactions

Back