I shot in RAW now what??

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by iluvphotography, Jul 31, 2006.

1. iluvphotography

iluvphotography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So as was recommended by gurus in this forum, I took some shots of the fireworks in RAW, but I don't know what to do now??

2. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    depending on your camera, you need to get a program that will then read the RAW files. Mine came bundled with my camera (pentax *istDL) but I have yet to use it.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's right. Use your software to open the RAW image...it should give you the options to adjust things like exposure, white balance, saturation, sharpness, contrast etc.

You should then have your image as an output from the RAW software...it could be a Photoshop PSD file, or a TIFF file or a JPEG etc. Then you just edit the image as you normally would.

It's really not much different than editing a JPEG shot, except that you have to go through the initial RAW conversion step. It is that step, however, that gives you more leeway than if you were editing an image that was shot in JPEG mode.

4. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not to start up the JPEG vs RAW debate but is that extra editting power worth the disk space? What size hard drives to RAW fans have or is there any other trick to archiving shots?

I was psyched to finally shoot RAW after getting my D50 but when I saw the files were 17 megs I rethought it. I think I'll save the RAW shots for the ones I KNOW I'll want prints of.

5. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, that's what I do most of the time.

I shoot JPEG for my everyday stuff but switch to RAW (or bracket JPEG shots) when I'm not sure about the exposure. When I'm anticipating that I will want more options for a shot (large prints etc.) then I'll use RAW.

RAW has more latitude as well...give you a better chance of not loosing detail in shadows or highlights. When it's a once in a lifetime kind of thing...you often want the best chance of getting a great shot.

I guess you could even say that anytime you are shooting...you could catch a once in a lifetime shot...you might regret not capturing it with as much detail as possible.

Actually, digital memory is getting cheaper all the time. You can get large hardrives for a lower price everyday. It's cheap to store images on CD or DVD. Memory cards get cheaper all the time as well.

6. iluvphotography

iluvphotography TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I lost you there.. What do you mean by "Have your images as an output from the RAW software"? You mean save it as PSD , JPEG etc file?

7. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wasn't sure what software you are using. Let's take Adobe Camera RAW for example. I would open Photoshop and then open a RAW file. A separate window will come up (this is A.C.R.). This is where I can make the RAW adjustments. Then I would click OK...then A.C.R. closes and I'm back to Photoshop with the image (I think it is then in the default image format (PSD, TIFF etc.)...I can then save it as what I want (PSD, TIFF, JPEG etc.).

If you were using a separate RAW program, you would open it and make your adjustments...then save it as a file type of your choice (this is what I meant by output). Then you can open and edit this new file just like any other.

Typically you want to retain as much detail/information as possible...so save the file as TIFF or PSD. If you save it as a JPEG, you will loose some information because of the JPEG compression.

Does that help at all?

8. bitteraspects

bitteraspects TPF Noob!

i have a couple 4G ultraII cards i use. so i dont really worry about the disk space

9. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This happened to me when I was shooting film. I don't have many keepers from when I was starting, but I do have one, and it was taken on 800 speed film. I really wish I had put 100 speed in that day. I always shoot with RAW now. You never know when you'll get a shot worthy of an enlargement.

10. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

I totally agree with this. I also notice that shooting RAW, you start to be more careful with your shot selection like back in the film days because you don't want to waste space with bad ones.

11. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's another good point. I didn't really change my habbits when I switched from film to digital, so it works really well for me.

12. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

When I switched, I turned into a tourist. :lol: