I shot my dog today!!!! (Pictures inside)

David A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Haha, not literally...I shot him with my new camera... ;)

Sorry if the title is a bit misleading.

Here are the results...(his name is Crash)

All comments are welcomed and encouraged. :mrgreen:

Alright, this is my take on these photos.

#1) With this photo, it looks like you accomplished what you were setting out to do. That being, having a shallow DOF and a sharp nose on Crash. You did a pretty good job doing that. I think that same pose with his eyes sharp would have been really cool. Also watch your framing, you chopped off a little of his nose on the bottom of the frame.

#2) Again, i'm a fan of sharp eyes, but you weren't going for that. I guess watch your backgrounds, if you dont like them, try to bokeh them out or move your butt.

#3) I like this photo, background works and the DOF is nice. There are two hot spots that distract me a bit. One above his nose and the other on the far right on the couch.

#4) This one is composed well and my only improvement would be a DOf that would allow for a nice sharp face.

#5) Super cute. He looks tired. Are his eyes closed or open?

#6 &7) Don't really care for these. If you are proud of Crash's clipped nails and wanted to show them off, mission accomplished.

Overall, i'm not a fan of the DOF used since I like seeing more detail in the face of Crash. But that is not what you were going for.

Thanks for the comments Ben...his eyes are closed in #5...

It seems like the general concensus on here is that most like the eyes to be in focus...I think I'll stick to that from now on...

As for 6/7...I am starting to agree with you more...I am wondering what I was thinking when I took them...oh well.

Well, I see these as "playing with the new camera" and thus "testing out the possibilities", and since I do that, too (have cat pics of the kind with only her paws in focus), I don't mind seeing the same intentions in your photos here. You might come to the conclusion that such a narrow DOF can be FUN but will not necessarily make the nicest of dog portraits, though I do appreciate the funny aspect of "all nose" pics - there is another new member on here who took such an "my-dog's-all-nose-only"-photo, now who is that again?

Anyhow, I would like the first best if you hadn't cropped off this tiny part of his snout.

I really like the fifth one of these nice shot. I have to agree that the DOF used on the first couple is good but on the feet is a bit boring.

What lens was used for these?

Daniel said:
I really like the fifth one of these nice shot. I have to agree that the DOF used on the first couple is good but on the feet is a bit boring.

What lens was used for these?

Yes, the 5th is also my favorite...and yes, I guess the feet are a bit boring...

Kit lense...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. :) (I really want a 50mm 1.8 )

Adorable dog and looks like you had some fun testing out different depth of field alternatives.

actually... my fav is the last one.. technically speaking i think it is very good. it is different from all those dog pics.... if the whole dog was sharp, or his head only - then it would be a snapshot.. not an arty photo. now it is great! and I love the doggy's poses :D

You got a very nice dog there!

I like #3, the others are interesting but I agree that the focus should be the eyes, altough making the nose sharp makes the shots look interesting.

I like shooting dogs too! (but not with a gun)

Most reactions

Back