I should do the same!

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by elsaspet, May 12, 2007.

1. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Since I like to help out in the critique section, I feel it's only fair to put up one myself:

Actually I have two if you have time:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the multiple.
    Please feel free to edit the photo in any way you think would be beneficial. Also feel free to give me any nits, or advice you find. Tell me what you like, and what you feel can be improved on in future shoots.
    Thanks for your time and advice.

2. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

They both are very nice I personally like the first one the most it is a very unique shot.

3. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had this same conversation with my son in law last week on the phone. I was in business for a lot of years, and shot a lot of bridal portraits but I have never been able to get one to even take a step into the grass let alone the places you guys can get them to pose. I have as much admiration for the ability to do that as i do for the photos.

One I don't really understand so I'm going to assume I'm totally out of touch and skip it.

The second one has a very nice crop and a very unusual and well done lighting scheme. The strong back light I have never seen used quite that way. The fill lighting however you did it is very well balanced.

Very nice job.. I don't have a thing to say about it other than it is a nice job all around.

4. Puscas

Puscas TPF Noob!

These are both great. #1 is my favorit, because it's so original. The contrast between bride and rusty frame really works. Love it, love it! But why did you keep/add the green haze on the right side? I think the pic could do without it.

But again: great work!

pascal

5. gmarquez

gmarquez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry, I like these both a lot, and I really don't have any idea what I'd change.

I love the framing (window), lighting, textures, colors, and pose in #1, and the drama, textures, and lighting of the second one. Superb job!

6. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    First of all let me say I kept looking at the first one over and over. Did you do the softness of the bride in photoshop or one of it's clones?

7. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    very nice, both of them, and i like the skewed appearance of the first one and the colours.

However, the first one seems to dreamy / soft for me.

The second one, well the transition between the brides head and the pitch black background is a bit too strong for my taste, it looks a bit like cut out and pasted into the scene, not natural. Did you blacken your black there? If you did, you overdid it IMHO.

[edit:] This softness thing is just not my personal taste, so you may ignore that comment ;)

8. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh alex I like the second one a lot. Frankly, I have images of Desade's bride running for her life. It has just the right tone of stark contrasts for it. I'm serious I like the shot a lot. I can see it being a generic magazine shot, not just a bridal thing.

Something about the eyes in the first one keeps drawing me back. They somehow seem softer than the rest of the picture. Good or bad I'm not sure just stays in my mind. Also the eyes seem a little less contrasty than the rest of the image. Not sure what that means just how it looks to my old eyes.

9. Alex_B

Photos NOT OK to edit

Maybe this fake impression which the second one gives to me (just around her head), depends on the screen I am using. I do only see it on my new screen, on the old one it looks ok.

The new screen gives the blackest black, which my old one does not.

10. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have this cheap old goodwill monitor which just makes my failing eyesight worse. Thats why the softness and flatness at the eyes in the first one may just be me.

11. Alex_B

Photos NOT OK to edit

Now that you mentioned ... I am afraid it is there on my new screen as well ... as if there was some fog right where her eyes are ...

12. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you guys. Yes I did some burning on the second, and I DO tend to go overboard sometimes. Because she was in a coal shaft though, I wanted to make it dirty and dramatic.....without really ruining her dress. I can see where it might be too much though. :)

Mystery, thanks for the kind words. It's weird. The first time I got a bride to do something funky, and posted it on my site, I suddenly started to attract that type of bride. They seem to want to outfunkify each other.
    As for the softness in the eyes, it's the film of dirt across the window pain. These were taken in a falling down factory, and I wanted the rust and the dirt to contrast with the pure white of the bride's overall look. The green in the right corner is a bit of leaves, but I kind of liked the color pop, and left it in. I thought it would balance the blue on the other side, but I might be wrong about that.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Great things to consider the next time. I really appreciate the responses!!!!!