I Should Probably Know This by Now (Upgrade Question)

PhilGarber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
philipofnj.redbubble.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi-

I've been debating whether to save up for a new body for a while now. I'm using a Rebel XT, so I felt that if I ever wanted to be noticed photography wise, I would probably have to upgrade.

Problem is, I've been looking on B&H and it doesn't seem like the features change that much between my discontinued XT and the new and flashy T1i. Sure, the 1D Mark II is practically bombproof. But..other then that, why upgrade? There isn't any difference in shutter speed, and F-stops are determined by the lens. The only real difference I've seen is ISO levels and noise.

Thanks for reading,

Phil,

What gets you noticed is your photos, not the camera... If your camera isn't limiting you and you like it, why upgrade? Get some fast glass or just get out, shoot and have fun.

ISO performance makes a huge difference, i know people who have upgraded just to be able to shoot at iso3200 without any noise, other reasons for upgrading are going full frame, higher resolution sensors, more frames per second (if you need it) etc etc

Yeah, and I'm one of the guilty ones for upgrading to gain ISO performance... but if it's not a limitation it's not an issue. For me I felt I needed it, others may not - just depends on what you shoot.

Indeed, such upgrades will be a boon, but don't be under the mistaken impression that having high-end gear is going to get you in the public's eye or bring more clients. As with nary all entrepreneurial sales work, most of your success has to do with marketing, and how you treat your clients. The small part left is the quality of your work, but high quality work, combined with genuinely caring about your product and your clients, is what gives you repeat customers.

Hmm.. Thanks guys! I still take any opinions I can get but I think I know basically what I'm going to do. I'll upgrade to something new (er) so I don't have to deal with any issues of it being discontinued. Once I have that newer body, I reckon I'll stick with it.

The camera is just a tool. Not all the different froma hammer. There are different kinds of hammers for different kinds of jobs.

If your current gear is doing the job you want it to do you don't need to upgrade. When you get to the point that you feel you are being held back by the lack of a feature on your gear you'll know it time to upgrade.

A lot of times people get a new camera body when what they really need is different or better glass. Unless you change brands, you'll have your glass a lot longer than you'll have a specific camera body.

Might be me, but I'm not sure I understand the logic in upgrading just because something is discontinued. At the rate they are pumping out cameras, you'd have to upgrade every other year.

As said, if you are fine with the camera, then keep it. Getting new glass could be what you need.

Other than it being an older model, are there any other reasons you would want to upgrade? Issues in certain shooting conditions, camera technical issues,...?

I agree with twinky - there are really no problems in discontinued lines, cameras are very much like computers, they advance quickly and new models come out all the time - thus older models get dropped from production pretty quickly. For repairs and such it should not be much of a problem - only that after a certian point repair cost will be more than a 2nd hand version and then its time to start thinking about a new camera.

Also your kit list shows your camera and its kit lens - nothing more. I am honest when I say that image quality and what you can shoot expands a heck of a lot with some far better glass.
heck look at these:
Juza Nature Photography
on an old 350D rebel camera - combined with pro glass and some good editing and you get fantastic pro results.

Go for glass first then look to upgrading your camera body - otherwise your just not going to notice too much of a difference

I agree with the two posts above. The camera you're planning to get now will eventually be discontinued in the next couple of years. Maybe even next year. At that time, will you buy another newer model just because it was being discontinued? Hmm, that's just not practical, in my own opinion.

Just identify your needs first and if those are not given by your current camera and that you have outgrown what your camera can do, then buy one. Just my two cents.

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back