I sunk to an all time low level (56k warning)

John E.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
After spending the summer searching for bears in the wild, to which I was only successful in the spring, I finally resorted to the garbage dump. :grumpy: Even so it was fun :D I was able to get about 25ft from her before my nerves gave out. She watched me for a little while then decieded I was no threat and totally ignored me

All the pictures were taken @ 125mm, none were cropped.

Following her nose, she is definatly the biggest sow I have ever seen :shock: . Pregnant I would think.
IMG_3736-02.jpg

This looks like a good place to sit, right next to the treats, gotta keep an eye out for the competition.
IMG_3786-01.jpg

Even in garbage they are noble beasts
IMG_3778-01.jpg

Sticks her tongue out at me,
IMG_3752-01.jpg

then starts pigging out on the goodies. U ummm this one smells nice :D
IMG_3790-01.jpg

hahaha, it's funny seeing the bear in the dump like that... I've never seen a bear outside of the zoo before... so that's pretty cool!
I heard that they are attracted to the dump but never really believed it much. :lol:

dude, are you crazy? don't bears eat people?

thanks for risking life and limb to share these rare shots John....excellent!

Littleman some bears will brave humans for thier leftovers, this yeas has been really dry and there is not enough food in the woods. The sad truth is: too many bears + not enough food = A high number will starve to death this year. We have a large bear problem right now, many are coming into town searching for food and do you think I could be around when it happens :roll:

JonMikal, it would be more likely I would get hit by a double decker bus in D.C. than get eaten by a bear. :D This is a pregnant female, she only wants to eat. Confrontation takes away energy and she wouldn't want to risk injuring herself. But still at the slightest sign of her discomfort I would have backed away. Being a garbage bear she is accustomed to people.

Black bear generally only have a litter of 2-3 cubs, but that sure is a big bear eating for two at least. That's the biggest bear I've ever seen, but of course, my representative sample is rather small :).

Awesome captures!

No-no-no-no-no. You have not sunk anywhere. Actually I admire you for going to that garbade dump in order to capture some bear-in-civilisation-photos!

I like the third with the seagull in front best of all, the one that you captioned as "Even in garbage they are noble beasts". But they are all good.

I am sure the SMELL was not THAT good... actually I assume it was a smell I can very well live WITHOUT! ;)

I wanted to get some bear pics in canada...but I only saw one bear and we were on the road so we couldnt really stop :(

kewl shots John. you are right, the hot dry summer will be hard on these poor animals. they will start to venture towards town to look for food. i only hope the authorities will capture and remove them before the local police shoot them :x

way to go, hanging out at the high class spots to get your photos :lol: i see the northern albino crow didnt miss this photo op. ;)

these are just great! and she is beautiful..her color is great and her size is amazing..
down here, our black bears are not so big....
but ya know...the colors of these pics are unreal...she is so dark...so black..and then the red from the garbage just pops out at you...unbelievable...

you can make garbage look interesting....great job johnE!

Thank you all kindly for your comments.

Lafoto bears love rancid smells, heck when I was working in a bush camp one bear ate our grease, oil, and stole our food cache,as well as made a mess and moved things about, me thinks bears have a sense of humour.

Middlemarch, lumber is a good word to use, I get a huge kick out of watching them waddle about, hard to believe they are so fast.

Picksure :) I see you know your crows, the albino crow is a rare catch on film :)

Aprilraven her coat is very black, I choose to shoot her on a cloudy day which seemed to work well . Most pictures I have of the black bears are just a black blob with a brown muzzle. I noticed all the red also and I did not use that much saturation, +15 in RawShooter Essentials.

Wow, great series of shots. I'm here trying to shot hummingbirds and your capturing BIG BLACK BEARS, geez. These are all very crisp photos. Glad you made it out with no scratches and missing body parts.

Most reactions

Back