I sunk to an all time low level (56k warning)

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by John E., Aug 26, 2005.

1. John E.

John E. TPF Noob!

After spending the summer searching for bears in the wild, to which I was only successful in the spring, I finally resorted to the garbage dump. :grumpy: Even so it was fun :D I was able to get about 25ft from her before my nerves gave out. She watched me for a little while then decieded I was no threat and totally ignored me

All the pictures were taken @ 125mm, none were cropped.

Following her nose, she is definatly the biggest sow I have ever seen :shock: . Pregnant I would think.
    [​IMG]

This looks like a good place to sit, right next to the treats, gotta keep an eye out for the competition.
    [​IMG]

Even in garbage they are noble beasts
    [​IMG]

Sticks her tongue out at me,
    [​IMG]

then starts pigging out on the goodies. U ummm this one smells nice :D
    [​IMG]

2. LittleMan

LittleMan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    hahaha, it's funny seeing the bear in the dump like that... I've never seen a bear outside of the zoo before... so that's pretty cool!
    I heard that they are attracted to the dump but never really believed it much. :lol:

3. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

dude, are you crazy? don't bears eat people?

thanks for risking life and limb to share these rare shots John....excellent!

4. John E.

John E. TPF Noob!

Littleman some bears will brave humans for thier leftovers, this yeas has been really dry and there is not enough food in the woods. The sad truth is: too many bears + not enough food = A high number will starve to death this year. We have a large bear problem right now, many are coming into town searching for food and do you think I could be around when it happens :roll:

JonMikal, it would be more likely I would get hit by a double decker bus in D.C. than get eaten by a bear. :D This is a pregnant female, she only wants to eat. Confrontation takes away energy and she wouldn't want to risk injuring herself. But still at the slightest sign of her discomfort I would have backed away. Being a garbage bear she is accustomed to people.

5. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Black bear generally only have a litter of 2-3 cubs, but that sure is a big bear eating for two at least. That's the biggest bear I've ever seen, but of course, my representative sample is rather small :).

Awesome captures!

6. erniehatt

erniehatt TPF Noob!

One word Awsome. Ernie

7. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No-no-no-no-no. You have not sunk anywhere. Actually I admire you for going to that garbade dump in order to capture some bear-in-civilisation-photos!

I like the third with the seagull in front best of all, the one that you captioned as "Even in garbage they are noble beasts". But they are all good.

I am sure the SMELL was not THAT good... actually I assume it was a smell I can very well live WITHOUT! ;)

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great pics. My Dad used to take us boys to the dump to see a trio of bears. We would toss them bread and even gave them names. It sounds stupid, but it's a fond memory of childhood. It was amazing to see them lumber about. Great pics!

9. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wanted to get some bear pics in canada...but I only saw one bear and we were on the road so we couldnt really stop :(

10. AIRIC

AIRIC TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very interesting, wich I was there.

Eric

11. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you lucky duck. bears are gorgeous creatures. nice job too getting in there and shooting them!!

12. Picksure

Picksure TPF Noob!

kewl shots John. you are right, the hot dry summer will be hard on these poor animals. they will start to venture towards town to look for food. i only hope the authorities will capture and remove them before the local police shoot them :x

way to go, hanging out at the high class spots to get your photos :lol: i see the northern albino crow didnt miss this photo op. ;)