i take it this is a really bad sign

carlita

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
so i finally got my computer to start back up normally again... it had been down for about 5 days or so. it had also crapped out once before for one night and then booted up the next day only to die again about a week later.

so like i said, i finally got it to boot up again today and then i used it for, oh, i dunno... 45 minutes to an hour? something like that. then all of a sudden it starts making this grinding, knocking sort of sound and a warning pops up saying there's something wrong with the hard disk and that i should check recently used files because i probably lost data.

i tried to, but it wouldn't let me click on anything anymore... the cursor moved when i moved the mouse and the clock was still tickin away, but nothing happened when i'd click stuff. so i restarted the computer and now it won't even boot up using a CD.

so... i'm thinking it's just time for a new machine. :?

hmmm...this sounds like a question for TheSupportForum ( http://www.thesupportforum.com).

Anyway it definitely sounds like there's a problem with the hard drive. You should try running a diagnostics utility on the drive.

Are you using a pc or mac?
What OS?
Do you know the manufacturer of the hard drive?

You and me both, Carli! On Friday morning, my computer worked fine, altho it has been slowly dying, but then when I came home Friday night, it would not connect to the net. I called comcast support and the guy tried to help me figure it out and we couldn't figure anything out. Even deleted the network card, so it would reregister and redo the drivers, and that didn't do anything, except screw the computer up even more because it wanted the win95 disk when adding the drivers, which of course I don't have! So I took the network card out, moved it around, tried other slots, nothing! Put it all back and still nothing, Saturday morning nothing. Saturday I was out all day, then I went shopping looking at new computers, but I couldn't bring myself to drop the cash that quickly not really knowing what I was doing, so I go home and it works now!! Seriously frustrating. But yes, it is time to begin the search for a new one...

grinding and knocking sounds are not good. that harddrive is toast. should be able to replace it without spending much.

TwistMyArm said:
Anyway it definitely sounds like there's a problem with the hard drive. You should try running a diagnostics utility on the drive.

Are you using a pc or mac?
What OS?
Do you know the manufacturer of the hard drive?

it's a mac and i actually have 9.0, 9.1 and 10.2 installed, but i have been running 9.1. that's the startup disk that's chosen currently.

i've tried all the diagnostic stuff i've got. i even tried to just do a software restore or reinstall one or more operating systems and i couldn't because any time i managed to get the comp to start up using a CD and then say "hey, install this stuff" it would say to me "where do you want to put it? pick a disk" and the only one that was available as a choice was the CD i was using the run the comp. same thing when i'd ask it to run the disk firstaid and stuff. the only choice to run it on was the CD. :? that doesn't help me. :( it's like the computer doesn't know those others even exist.

i wonder how much i could get for this thing if i sold it for parts. :? but if someone managed to get the files off of it they'd have ALL my stuff. i don't know if i'd like that. :? (i'm thinking "out loud" right now.)

if it's making dinging noises it is unlikely you will recover data from that disk.

a nicely placed bullet will just about solve the recovering of data off the hard drive. I mean to make it unrecoverable. another good thing to do is take a high powered magnet to it. Course that does not always work. :lol:

it's not a bad sign...

this is tho
getimage.adp

:D

i would be real nervous about those noises :shock: we're running MACs over here and i've had minimul problems, but sometimes it happens

I really don't know anything about macs Carli so there's not much I can tell you in regards to diagnostics or file recovery programs.

I'd look into replacing the drive though. How old is it? Check with the manufacturer it may be under warranty.

Hey, Spanky that sign rocks. I used to have it on my desktop...I lmao the first time I saw that...I still am laughing. In all seriousness though, do you think anyone drove off the bridge?

Most reactions

Back