I think I finally decided what camera I am upgrading to!

Is the Olympus E-420 a good camera? And the lens it comes with - is it good, or am I going to want another one? I saw this camera at Walmart yesterday, actually. I didn't get to test it out, because they don't keep the lenses on the cameras for obvious reasons, and I felt weird asking.

That's f*ed up. The Walmart here doesn't do that... How do they expect to get sales if you can't even play around with it? Next time you go there, ask.
Ask them why they even bother putting the camera out there on display if you can't even mess around with it.

I don't have that camera, and have never used it, but-
The lens that comes with it is probably like most 'kit lenses'. Better than a point & shoot, but not the best there is. It will hold you over for a while, but eventually you'll be wanting a few more, better lenses.

Is the Olympus E-420 a good camera? And the lens it comes with - is it good, or am I going to want another one? I saw this camera at Walmart yesterday, actually. I didn't get to test it out, because they don't keep the lenses on the cameras for obvious reasons, and I felt weird asking.

That's f*ed up. The Walmart here doesn't do that... How do they expect to get sales if you can't even play around with it? Next time you go there, ask.
Ask them why they even bother putting the camera out there on display if you can't even mess around with it.

I don't have that camera, and have never used it, but-
The lens that comes with it is probably like most 'kit lenses'. Better than a point & shoot, but not the best there is. It will hold you over for a while, but eventually you'll be wanting a few more, better lenses.

not all walmarts have a high theft concern

I would not buy an Olympus. I would stick with mainstream camera companies. That means Canon for all PnS cameras and Nikon first and Canon second for professional DSLR (not entry level plastic ones) cameras. This is the best way to play it safe. If your budget is very tight, a Canon G9 would be a great camera to have. I would never waste money on a Nikon Coolpix PnS. They are no match for Canon PnS cameras - I ought to know, I am a crazy picture taker who is taking pictures all the time! I am a Nikon guy and love Nikon DSLRs far better than Canon DSLRs but for a PnS I would never buy a Nikon.

Thank you for all the input/opinions! This is all very helpful!

So, it's been about a month, and after much reflection and researching cameras/prices, I decided that I am going to get a Canon XS with kit lens from Adorama for 399 dollars. There is a 200mm lens for about 120 dollars at bhphoto.com that I might purchase with it, because I would want a farther range to take pictures.

I should be getting the money any day now, if there is no delay. I am a little nervous about getting my first DSLR, and I am sure I will be getting on this forum and asking questions once I get it, since I have never even played with any type of SLR, let alone owned one!

What do you guys think of the Canon XS? It seems like a decent one. Pros/cons?

Thanks!!

rebels are easy to use, you made a good decision.. however, ive personally never used one. so i cant give you pros and cons myself...
its a great beginner camera for sure..

I've heard almost all good things about the XS, and I think it comes with the newer "underrated" 18-55 IS lens :D
So, it's been about a month, and after much reflection and researching cameras/prices, I decided that I am going to get a Canon XS with kit lens from Adorama for 399 dollars. There is a 200mm lens for about 120 dollars at bhphoto.com that I might purchase with it, because I would want a farther range to take pictures.

I should be getting the money any day now, if there is no delay. I am a little nervous about getting my first DSLR, and I am sure I will be getting on this forum and asking questions once I get it, since I have never even played with any type of SLR, let alone owned one!

What do you guys think of the Canon XS? It seems like a decent one. Pros/cons?

Thanks!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back