I think I'm finally gonna bite

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by evo5gsr, Mar 14, 2008.

1. evo5gsr

evo5gsr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    After all that waiting, I think I'm ready to get that Pentax K100. What do you guys think of this?

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006388&prodlist=froogle

Resellerratings is giving me mixed reviews.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/ZipZoomFly

And then there's the question of lenses. Basically, I have it down to these four choices.

50mm 1.4
    Pro: :drool2: @ 1.4...
    Con: I'll be doing a lot of stepping back...literally

35mm 2.0
    Pro: Wider than the nifty-fifty
    Con: Not as fast

Sigma 18-50 2.8
    Pro: Wide-ish; great workhorse
    Con: Most expensive

Sigma 28-70 2.8
    Pro: About $60 cheaper than the 18-50; I could use the extra length, since I probably won't be getting a telephoto lens anytime soon.
    Con: Not as wide as I would like.

I'm most likely gonna be shooting typical scenic and land/cityscape images, and not as much portraits.

2. Yahoozy

Yahoozy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    depressing as this may be to hear, that price is probably too good to be true
    i recently bought my Pentax K100D (incidentally i love it more than anything ive ever owned) from a similar site and i payed $200 more than what was originally posted as the price
    i recommend bhphotovideo.com or calumetphoto.com as they are legitimate and respected names in photography with competitive prices, though not quite at that range
    as per the lenses i myself have an 18-55 and its pretty damn good for all the shots i take, great range of vision from wide angle (great for landscape) to slight zoom which comes in handy for somewhat closeup (my feeble attempts at macro =P) photography
    addmittedly it was the stock lens that came with the camera but its the best stock lens ive ever had the pleasure of shooting with
    the downside of single focal length lenses is just that, they have no other length
    so if your shot looks best at, say, 40mm youd be out of luck as youd have a 35 or a 50 to choose from (of course, you could always just crop it to look better after the shot), but the wider apertures make up for that if its what your looking for
    personally, i like the extra bit of control i get with a slight range of focal length from an 18-55 (or in your case 18-50)
    currently im saving for the 18-250 lens that pentax released not too long ago but thats around $400-450
    hope that helps a bit =P
    *afterthought* i also have the Sigma 70-300mm telephoto for about $200, but its not that great at getting close, and the minimum aperture is around 4 or something, but all the same if your learning to fully use a DSLR's capabilities like i am something basic like a basic workhorse lens and a basic telephoto (nothing too expensive just something to learn on) works great, and when you decide to move up a bit those lenses arent going anywhere

3. evo5gsr

evo5gsr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    BH has it for $519, so it's not as competitive as you think. And I know, I know, BH is great, etc., but what can I say, I'm a penny pincher.

It's not like it's coming from Broadway, Tristate, and all those other stores, but still, like you said, the price is too good to be true.

Damn, I use too many commas.

4. reconstyle

reconstyle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've ordered computer parts from zipzoomfly a few times and never had a problem.

5. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I bet you they are going to call you to "verify" your order... then try hard to sell you all kinds of extra junk. When you refuse, the camera will suddenly become on backorder.

Support our board sponsors, they are known and trusted suppliers.

6. evo5gsr

evo5gsr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Like I said, I don't think they're like Broadway and those other bait-and-hook websites. I'm just worried about the camera itself.

7. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Then if you are concerned... why shop there? Being a good shopper is vastly different from being cheap and opening up one's self to scammers and companys that take advantage of people like yourself.

Of course, its your money and your choice... but as someone famous once said... there is no free lunch. You will get what you pay for.

8. evo5gsr

evo5gsr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good point.

Argh! But it's a difference of $70.

Screw this. I'm gonna see some strippers.

9. Aw45

Aw45 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Go to www.resellerratings.com and look at the reviews of that company. I would not suggest purchasing from them.

10. phoenix_rising

phoenix_rising TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    They have that camera at Meijers for $399. That is the regular price as I have seen it there for a month or two at that price. It is either that or the K110D. I get those two mixed up. But yep. Even comes with a kit lens. I think they still stock them too because the store in Westland, MI had 3-4 of them. If not they have the E-300 for sale for $500.

I was dead set on buying one until I read a few reveiws that mentioned the color quality was a little dull as dark. I ended up picking up a newish Nikon D50 with 2 lenses, monopod, and a filter for $525 shipped off of ebay. I love it, everything about it. I am still learning how to control all of the features but I have gotten some beautiful shots of my local "wildlife" :). The 18-55 MM is a wonderful all around lens but the 55-200 really gets you in there on face shots. Very nice. I can't wait to see a 300mm lens!

11. evo5gsr

evo5gsr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Please read the original post kthx.

12. Yahoozy

Yahoozy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    im just gonna say this
    i originally bought my camera from a place selling it for about $450, i got a confirmation email after i already bought it saying it was being shipped in japanese with a plastic lens, and if i wanted to upgrade to the "normal" item it would cost an additional $200
    in the long run your better off with a trusted company, as sucky as it may be to pay extra, sorry hahah
    its something everyone needs to figure out eventually =P