I thought i knew what to buy but....

Jus7 A Phas3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok so im am really into skateboard photography and off cramrea flashes are used alot, i have a nikon D80 and i was planing to get 1 or 2 vivtar 285hv's and as far has as to trigger them i want to use radio slaves and i was going to get the Cactus V.2. but i heard from one of big mikes posts that they dont fire alot of the time and sometimes they fire twice and i trust him alot ha well i read a review about skyports and they seem like a good alterntive to pocket wizards but i looked on B&H and they had http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...EL_Skyport_Computer_Remote_Trigger_Radio.html and thats almost the cost of PW's but has all this computer stuff and i was wondering if all that stuff is needed or if its only needed if you want to shoot and have the pictures upload to your computer instantly or something and i could get something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...m_19360_EL_Skyport_Universal_Radio_Slave.html and everything will still work fine, i really dont want to spend money have find out it doesnt work and i have to take it all back my job doesnt pay that much lol, well please help me out because i really need it.

I'm sorry, I couldn't understand your post as there's no punctuation. :wink:

Get SB800s, hotshoe mount and use the nikon d80's commander mode. It works fine for just a few off flashes.

When setting up a system make sure to include the stands and mounts for flashed. Im currently doing something simaler but im going use the V.2's. I have them ordered along with a sb28dx and small stand from ebay and an umbrella mounto from B and H

Ive heard mixed reviews on the v2's, but they seem to vary by what flash you use, and i heard it works well with the sb28

sorry about the punctuation, i dont want to get the sb800's they are alot of money and they might get knocked down alot by skaters and boards. But do you when with the 800's i wont need to get radio slaves to fire with off camrea if this is true i might go for it?

Check ebay and b and h's used section for some nice deals

Get SB800s, hotshoe mount and use the nikon d80's commander mode. It works fine for just a few off flashes.

The SB-600 is a more economical choice for the D80.

Do i still need radio slaves to fire those off camrea?

I believe the 80D has 'Commander Mode' which should allow you to fire SB600s or SB800s, wirelessly (I think, I don't really know Nikon).

B.t.w. I did say that the Cactus triggers were not all that reliable...but I problems I've had with them, were when I tried to use them with my Canon brand flash (a common problem). When I used my Cactus trigger with an off-brand flash, or with my Alienbee lights, the fire rate is probably 98%...although it might be a little lower when used outdoors.

If your budget is really tight, it might be worth trying them...but don't expect miracles. Another option would be to use optical slaves. You would need to trigger one flash (on camera or off) without them, but any other flashes could probably be triggered with an optical trigger (<$20).

I believe the 80D has 'Commander Mode' which should allow you to fire SB600s or SB800s, wirelessly (I think, I don't really know Nikon).

You are correct. Further, the D80's popup flash can also be part of the system. It's all in the users' manual.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back