I thought it was going to work.. but it doesn't.

Seeing that it's NOT ok to edit your images...
(so I won't post the result of what I did)
But I started by rotating the image 90 ccw (baby upright)
Looks better already
Then selected inside mouth with Magic Wand set to 25 tolerance
Then Lab colour b/adjust... a/adjust
(alternative - stay RGB and adjust each channel - but Lab works better)
Lighten a little if needed
Child has a tongue...

Other thing - It is quite NORMAL for young baby's eyes to be out of sync,
At that age their developing brain has poor control of the eye muscles (or any other muscles for that matter) and babies only focus on near objects like their mom's face at feeding distance... the "gaze"... hence the apparent convergent strabismus...

Keep practising with Photoshop Kelly - that's the only way to learn
Jedo

I played with #3
Rotated 20deg
Cropped to edges
Colour popped, etc
Sharpened - USM and selective
Improvement - but a little too OOF to warrant a print...
Maybe concentrate more on where your focus point is...
The EYES are what most people look at first, so maybe you should aim to focus on the eyes... if you can nail that - you are ahead...
Also (well, just my preference) try not to photograph babies/people at obtuse angles - eg with their heads angled lower than their body... Babies normally lay flat - or tilted with their head higher than their tummy or held upright by mum/dad - and that's what we should be photographing...
Other than that - well, maybe your images are degrading with the uploading process, but I do see a degree of fuzzy-ness/lack of sharpness/OOF in your images: even on your website. Could be degrading with JPG transfer and re-sizing, etc., but you should check that your original images are pristine/HQ that are going to your clients.
Jedo

Kelly, would you let me play with it?

Sure :)

Seeing that it's NOT ok to edit your images...
(so I won't post the result of what I did)
But I started by rotating the image 90 ccw (baby upright)
Looks better already
Then selected inside mouth with Magic Wand set to 25 tolerance
Then Lab colour b/adjust... a/adjust
(alternative - stay RGB and adjust each channel - but Lab works better)
Lighten a little if needed
Child has a tongue...

Other thing - It is quite NORMAL for young baby's eyes to be out of sync,
At that age their developing brain has poor control of the eye muscles (or any other muscles for that matter) and babies only focus on near objects like their mom's face at feeding distance... the "gaze"... hence the apparent convergent strabismus...

Keep practising with Photoshop Kelly - that's the only way to learn
Jedo

:lol: You should see the SOOC. I'm pretty proficient in photoshot (not perfect by any means, but not amatuer).. I think one of the keys is to know when to stop and just toss a picture that is surely not working.

I played with #3
Rotated 20deg
Cropped to edges
Colour popped, etc
Sharpened - USM and selective
Improvement - but a little too OOF to warrant a print...
Maybe concentrate more on where your focus point is...
The EYES are what most people look at first, so maybe you should aim to focus on the eyes... if you can nail that - you are ahead...
Also (well, just my preference) try not to photograph babies/people at obtuse angles - eg with their heads angled lower than their body... Babies normally lay flat - or tilted with their head higher than their tummy or held upright by mum/dad - and that's what we should be photographing...
Other than that - well, maybe your images are degrading with the uploading process, but I do see a degree of fuzzy-ness/lack of sharpness/OOF in your images: even on your website. Could be degrading with JPG transfer and re-sizing, etc., but you should check that your original images are pristine/HQ that are going to your clients.
Jedo

My focus point is ALWAYS the eyes. The lack of sharpness or fuzzinesss that your seeing (particularly with these prints) is because I've chosen to do some soft focusing in post processing (which I've heard before "its OOF, or "its soft".. no.. its my style..). Also, I don't sharpen for the web so that's the other issue. But my SOOC have great eye sharpness, I think.

Appreciate the feedback:thumbup:

Kelly- One is just a bad shot and when you have a bad shot nothing can really save it. The blanket covers too much of the face and casts a shadow that makes the head it look deformed. That with the slightly crossed eyes makes the baby look Shriekish. Thats not your fault. Well it is but you could not know it until you saw the picture. A babies face partly hidden by a blanket is a classic pose, but this did not work.
The BW is much better and the blurred fist is OK. I like the way you work with available light.
The second color one looks uncomfortable, and snapshotish as if G-mom just had to take a picture for her Bridge Group. Dose not do the baby of you justice. And it is over exposed. It looks a little like the kid was dropped and is still dizzy.
JS

Most reactions

New Topics

Back