I took 300 pictures this afternoon... and kept 1

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
n620612132_1662235_193.jpg

What do you think? It wasn't that great in color, but with selective color I think it's kind of unique.

It doesnt do much for me to be honest. Selective color is a good choice on this shot though I think.

Your keeper rate will improve...... eventually....... slowly.......... and methodically. Next year, this time, you will be asking yourself why, oh why did I think this was a keeper. Don't worry dude...... it's the evolution playing its part.

Your keeper rate will improve...... eventually.......

so very true... first wedding i shot (on my own) i took about 2000 pictures and saved around 100 of them... i took so many because i was nervous as it was my first...

now, I'm much less nervous, and at a wedding will take around 800-100 and i save around 300-500

Becoming a good photographer is a long process that takes a lot of experimenting and practice...lots of practice. Henri Cartier-Bresson, a French photographer considered to be the father of modern photojournalism said "Your first 10,000 pictures will be your worst." Keep shooting and you'll get better. Remember to examine your junkers as well as your keepers...they'll tell you what not to do the next time you go out.

on my sunset shoot i jsut posted, i took 200+

I'd say do it with film first. It forces you to consider your shots rather than just shooting away at the subjects, because film and developing film costs money. Small amounts, but it adds up. Think of it as reinforcement to taking good shots.

I don't know if it'll apply to everyone, but it certainly did for me. I started with FM10 with 36 exp film. I'd have about 3-4 decent/good ones per roll. My D50 on the other hand, if I were to separate all the images into groups of 36, I'd have maybe 1-2 "per roll." It's the digital factor, imo, that does it until you've trained yourself not to shoot carelessly.

I think taking 300 shots and only keeping one is counterproductive...
What you are doing is snapping away without considering WHAT you are shooting, WHY you are shooting it, and in general "without caring" how the shots are going to look... Then back to the computer and sit for hours looking at every one of the 300 - 500 - 800 pictures, discovering your errors, mistakes, carelessness, etc etc and becoming more and more despondent as the hours roll by...
Surely - much better to carefully eye your subject, look around it at every angle, look at the light and where it is coming from, carefully expose and focus, chimp the LCD and histogram, re-shoot if nec., jot a note in your notebook, and arrive home with 40 or 50 shots that you are already reasonably happy with and pretty confident about the quality...
If you are to going to sit in front of your computer for hours just to dump 299/300 shots, you should seriously consider buying Understanding Exposure and going through Bryan Peterson's exercises in your own back yard... at least you'd be learning something...
ETA - Peterson also has a book called Understanding Composition...
Jedo

I shot a dance show tonight. I've shot the same show (most of the same people, same venue) before. Last time I took well over 400, actually, I filled my 2GB card with JPEGs. This time I shot less than 300. I used to use the shotgun approach (take 400 shots, pray 1 happens to be good) but I've become much more conscious in my picture taking, even in fast paced settings such as a dance show.

Don't even bother taking a picture unless it moves you...
What's the point of snapping a shot just for the sake of snapping it..???
Only to DELETE it when you get home..??
Just because we CAN take 1000's of images with our digital cameras doesn't mean we HAVE to...
Just think - all those wasted hours at the computer in LR, reviewing those RAW files... We could be making L:heart:V to our wives/g'friends/friends;)...
Make LUV - not RAW...
Jedo

The color definitely jumps out at me, so that's where my attention goes. At that point, I'm going to look at the cross and the letters, and the cross and letters really didn't add a deep significance to the picture.
Either way, good eye for what would look more visually appealing in selective color.

Don't even bother taking a picture unless it moves you...
What's the point of snapping a shot just for the sake of snapping it..???
Only to DELETE it when you get home..??
Just because we CAN take 1000's of images with our digital cameras doesn't mean we HAVE to...
Just think - all those wasted hours at the computer in LR, reviewing those RAW files... We could be making L:heart:V to our wives/g'friends/friends;)...
Make LUV - not RAW...
Jedo
There is a very good reason for me, it's to see how different settings change the outcome of my shot. You may not see the value in this, but for me it's part of the learning experience. I wasn't in the part to get a killer picture as much as I was to learn exposure. I haven't deleted anything, I only have one of the 300 which I've posted online.

There might be others, I'm still sorting through them, cropping, messing with adjustments in Lightroom... we'll see.

Here's three more from yesterday.

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

I'm converting many to B&W because of the drab winter colors...

Most reactions

Back