I Took SSSOOOOOOO Many Pictures Today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by astrostu, Oct 19, 2007.

1. astrostu

astrostu Guest

I filled up half a 1 GB card, all of a 2 GB card, and started on a 4 GB card (yeah yeah, I should've just started with the 4 GB). All were shot RAW, so they're ~8 MB each from my camera. But it still adds up to 282 photos (I just realized that the 2 GB card had 98 photos from a previous shoot that I forgot to delete). I took them while driving from Flagstaff through Sedona, stopping in Slide Rock State Park, Red Rock State Park, and then going back to Sedona. And pulling off the road several times.

I think part of why it's so many is that I did a lot of panoramae. Like 5 across by 3 vertical =15 photos to get one panorama. Several of those.

I'm sure many of you guys take more than this in just the ~6 hrs of sightseeing I did, but I'm still surprised. And I'm dreading the time it's going to take to process them all, including stitching the panoramae together (even though I use an automated program to do it, I still have to convert from RAW all the same, and I save them as 16-bit TIFs, and then I have the program stitch them together and save as a 16-bit TIF, so on my slow computer it takes forever).

Sorry, I guess this is kinda a rant / report from my vacation. I'm not sure what kind of reply I'm expecting, so perhaps I'll pose a question: Over the course of half a day of sightseeing with your camera, how many photos do YOU take? And how many filled memory cards?

Edit: One panorama down. 430 MB in 16-bit Photoshop with an extra Curves adjustment layer. 20 MB 8-bit JPG. Fresh out of the panorama program it was 184° horizontally by 33° vertically. Over 18,000 pixels across by ~3200 pixels tall.

2. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    have a word! I take more than that in 1 hour :lol: from memory 1427 is my record for one day and that was on the day after I took 1300 and said I've never taking that many again :lol:

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, 282 isn't really that much. I think my record is somewhere around 600-someodd. I think I average about 300 or so per shooting.

4. lordson

lordson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    whoah!, do you guys just snap anything and everything?

i was kinda doing that with my PnS at these 900 yr old temples and i only racked up about 200 ish.

5. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Under certain circumstances, 75 of the 600 could be setting up my lighting. It's faster to just keep shooting than to stop everything you're doing and delete.

6. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

It's not quantity, it's quality ;)

Try working on 10x8 and your shooting average will drop somewhat :lol:

7. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

yeah I can just imagine a 10x8 trying to track a 600mph plane :lol:

8. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Not impossible. It would just take a little planning.