I tried hard...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by stsinner, Dec 2, 2008.

1. stsinner

stsinner TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I tried hard to take a snapshot that was worthy of keeping, and I think this one just captures the essence of innocence and simple fun so great! This was at a family gathering where the girls didn't know each other previously, but bonded greatly, and I loved their fun-loving attitudes! Please give some C&C.

[​IMG]

This was the runner-up for my favorites:

[​IMG]

2. AnthonyCorbo

AnthonyCorbo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice photos they show the joy of children. Maybe you could try cropping the first picture to focus on the kids and on the second you can also crop it and maybe try it black and white.
    Just my 2 cents!
    Maybe something like this for the second, just my opinion.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    #1 is an excellent shot. I might think about cropping some of the LH side off, the empty grass doesn't really contribute anything. As well, a litle burning of the skin tones and perhaps just a small saturation boost.

4. Dick Sanders

Dick Sanders TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think #1 is a very good photo that can be made excellent by cropping enough off the left side so the girls are not exactly centered. And then convert it to black and white, but give it a sepia tone for a vintage look.

Next, put it in a ornate gilded frame with a generous 8 ply off-white matte and you'll have yourself a classic that will enrich whatever room it's in.

Color is often the problem with a photo like this. But nice work, and of course, the girls are adorable!

5. stsinner

stsinner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Both of you mentioned cropping the first pic, and I welcome your advice, as I really can't counter it, but does it not at all kind of illicit a felling of a large open area, as opposed to a tight, confined space? Thanks for the info.

6. stsinner

stsinner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Would you mind working on it for me? I'll do it, too, but I've never worked with frames at all. Any pointers or, more specifically, can you tell me from the very beginning how to do it, because I've never, ever framed anything.. I"m using PS CS3.

Thanks in advance.

7. Dick Sanders

Dick Sanders TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What the heck... Here are my recommendations, with a quick and dirty PhotoShop job... I also darkened the grass around the girls a little to bring them out more. I added sepia color in PhotoShop, but it would look better just printed with a little warmth (or in sepia) with a K-3 printer like the Epson R-2400 or 2880.

[​IMG]

8. stsinner

stsinner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, everyone, and, Dick (confused by the avatar), I like yours better than mine, but still no frame.. How is everyone framing their shots? I couldn't find sepia in Photoshop and ended up using Picasa 3. Your shots looks more B&W, rather than sepia... Did you desaturate the picture?

Anyway, here's my attempt:

[​IMG]

9. Craddie

Craddie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice job - your shot really does capture the innocence and simple fun you were looking for.

A great tip I was given for shooting (pictures of) kids is to get down to their level. The difference in the feeling of the pictures is amazing!

10. stsinner

stsinner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No dobt great advice, but, and not to sound argumentative, my daughter (the red-head with the doggie) doesn't act the same when she knows she being watched, and this is the only reason I got these shots.. I was shooting from a realtively high deck with my 70-300 zoom... I'd love to capture her this uninhibited at her level, but I fear it may never happen.. I was over 20 yards away from her...

11. Craddie

Craddie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can't fake candids - that's for sure. Maybe you need a duck hunting blind to hide behind? Lol.... Just kidding - the pics are great!

12. stsinner

stsinner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    LOL.. thanks!! Sometimes it feels like I'm hunting!!