I tried hard...

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried hard to take a snapshot that was worthy of keeping, and I think this one just captures the essence of innocence and simple fun so great! This was at a family gathering where the girls didn't know each other previously, but bonded greatly, and I loved their fun-loving attitudes! Please give some C&C.

10_04_2009_2340.jpg

This was the runner-up for my favorites:

10_04_2009_2342.jpg

Nice photos they show the joy of children. Maybe you could try cropping the first picture to focus on the kids and on the second you can also crop it and maybe try it black and white.
Just my 2 cents!
Maybe something like this for the second, just my opinion.
notmine.jpg

Last edited:
#1 is an excellent shot. I might think about cropping some of the LH side off, the empty grass doesn't really contribute anything. As well, a litle burning of the skin tones and perhaps just a small saturation boost.

I think #1 is a very good photo that can be made excellent by cropping enough off the left side so the girls are not exactly centered. And then convert it to black and white, but give it a sepia tone for a vintage look.

Next, put it in a ornate gilded frame with a generous 8 ply off-white matte and you'll have yourself a classic that will enrich whatever room it's in.

Color is often the problem with a photo like this. But nice work, and of course, the girls are adorable!

Both of you mentioned cropping the first pic, and I welcome your advice, as I really can't counter it, but does it not at all kind of illicit a felling of a large open area, as opposed to a tight, confined space? Thanks for the info.

I think #1 is a very good photo that can be made excellent by cropping enough off the left side so the girls are not exactly centered. And then convert it to black and white, but give it a sepia tone for a vintage look.

Next, put it in a ornate gilded frame with a generous 8 ply off-white matte and you'll have yourself a classic that will enrich whatever room it's in.

Color is often the problem with a photo like this. But nice work, and of course, the girls are adorable!

Would you mind working on it for me? I'll do it, too, but I've never worked with frames at all. Any pointers or, more specifically, can you tell me from the very beginning how to do it, because I've never, ever framed anything.. I"m using PS CS3.

Thanks in advance.

What the heck... Here are my recommendations, with a quick and dirty PhotoShop job... I also darkened the grass around the girls a little to bring them out more. I added sepia color in PhotoShop, but it would look better just printed with a little warmth (or in sepia) with a K-3 printer like the Epson R-2400 or 2880.

STsinnerphotoforumkids.jpg

Thanks, everyone, and, Dick (confused by the avatar), I like yours better than mine, but still no frame.. How is everyone framing their shots? I couldn't find sepia in Photoshop and ended up using Picasa 3. Your shots looks more B&W, rather than sepia... Did you desaturate the picture?

Anyway, here's my attempt:

10_04_2009_2340sep.jpg

Nice job - your shot really does capture the innocence and simple fun you were looking for.

A great tip I was given for shooting (pictures of) kids is to get down to their level. The difference in the feeling of the pictures is amazing!

Nice job - your shot really does capture the innocence and simple fun you were looking for.

A great tip I was given for shooting (pictures of) kids is to get down to their level. The difference in the feeling of the pictures is amazing!

No dobt great advice, but, and not to sound argumentative, my daughter (the red-head with the doggie) doesn't act the same when she knows she being watched, and this is the only reason I got these shots.. I was shooting from a realtively high deck with my 70-300 zoom... I'd love to capture her this uninhibited at her level, but I fear it may never happen.. I was over 20 yards away from her...

You can't fake candids - that's for sure. Maybe you need a duck hunting blind to hide behind? Lol.... Just kidding - the pics are great!

You can't fake candids - that's for sure. Maybe you need a duck hunting blind to hide behind? Lol.... Just kidding - the pics are great!

LOL.. thanks!! Sometimes it feels like I'm hunting!!

Nice photos they show the joy of children. Maybe you could try cropping the first picture to focus on the kids and on the second you can also crop it and maybe try it black and white.
Just my 2 cents!
Maybe something like this for the second, just my opinion.
notmine.jpg

Wow..a dilemma...You took the time to edit my photo, so I don't want to sound unappreciative, but you made it so dark that I can't hardly make it out.. I do appreciate the help, believe me, but in this case, I just think a little lighter would do it justice..

Thanks for the help.

The problems that I see are that your color is a bit wonky and you've got a lot of softness that is making it hard to really lock the eyes into the image-- it's making it feel really muddy. It needs both a bump in contrast and in sharpness, at least to my eyes. At the same time, filling the frame up a bit more would help a lot.

#1 is great :) love the expressions. as mentioned, the first thing that came to mind for me was a tighter crop, really focusing on their faces to fill the entire shot. priceless stuff! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back