I tried "some street"... it didn't go well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
just my opinion. But shooting protesters is closer to snap shots or "duck shots". way overdone, protesters are common, and when they walk around with signs they aren't really hard targets. i prefer (just my opinion of course) the more creative forms of street shooting that aren't just snapping someone holding another sign..

what might be good about the original photos posted is they aren't all worked up and seem really bored as it makes a additional statement (while weak).

just my opinion. But shooting protesters is closer to snap shots or "duck shots". way overdone, protesters are common, and when they walk around with signs they aren't really hard targets. i prefer (just my opinion of course) the more creative forms of street shooting that aren't just snapping someone holding another sign..

what might be good about the original photos posted is they aren't all worked up and seem really bored as it makes a additional statement (while weak).

People waiting for portraits just sit there.
Mountains and trees just sit there.
Flowers just sit there.

If you think it is easy to get a shot of protesters that actual says something beyond just reproducing the content, then I suggest you actually try it.
My impression is that you think 'it' is easy is probably because you don't understand what 'it' is.

People waiting for portraits just sit there.
Mountains and trees just sit there.
Flowers just sit there.

If you think it is easy to get a shot of protesters that actual says something beyond just reproducing the content, then I suggest you actually try it.
My impression is that you think 'it' is easy is probably because you don't understand what 'it' is.
i drive by them. why would i want a photo of another person complaining?

Thanks for all of the points folks! FWIW, I am firmly convinced that there's at least one good image in the scene, and to me the apathy's important, likewise why I don't want to walk right up to them and shoot. The reason they look like that [I assume] is that they're there all day, every day and have been, as far as I'm aware, for the better part of a year, and it's more like a soldier on boring sentry duty than anything else.

I don't think one genre of photography is any more difficult than another, but it does take skill and practice to develop the eye for what makes a good image in that particular genre. I'll have another bash one of these days and see how it goes.

I clicked "funny" because the lone activist had apparently brought many signs and propped them up as if being held by fellow activists. And the fact that the two "sides" were only steps apart on the same piece of sidewalk.

IOW: Success!

Now, if you had incited them to violence against each other, well then you would have something.

This is where the actual thinking comes in.
If you want to emphasize the one person/many signs vs the many people, many signs, that's where the effort by the photographer comes in.
Their natural clustering doesn't make for much of a shot from a distance. Perhaps more of a closeup on the one person that shows her signs with the other people visible in the background.

This is where the actual thinking comes in.
If you want to emphasize the one person/many signs vs the many people, many signs, that's where the effort by the photographer comes in.
Their natural clustering doesn't make for much of a shot from a distance. Perhaps more of a closeup on the one person that shows her signs with the other people visible in the background.
maybe.
i would look for other things too if i was inclined. The different shoes on the pavement and pavement textures. Maybe a sign held backwards so you couldn't read it . The cars driving by or people walking by ignoring the protesters, or maybe a news crew guy sitting on the back of a van eating a sandwich with the protest in the background. Anything that says another statement than what the actual protest is about. just my take on it.

We have lots of people here who talk about what they would do.
In the discussions, everyone is a star.

This is photography.
Show pictures.

We have lots of people here who talk about what they would do.
In the discussions, everyone is a star.

This is photography.
Show pictures.
don't do protests. i posted a photo on here a while ago called "stroller" and that is about the closest i get to street photography unless it is abstract. if i can put it in a context i can move it toward fine art ( something i am working on). People don't interest me generally speaking i try to get them out of my shots not in them. well except this guy, once in a while i meet a interesting character. He has fifty hats and wears a different one every day and was waiting for meds at a pharmacy. He seemed worth the snapshot. BRI_6584_3709.JPG

well i guess i posted a parrot guy here a few weeks back too. was driving by and saw him and pulled over. A guy who rides around with a parrot on the handle bars of his bike. But these are people i see and make me curious enough to stop and talk with them for ten minutes so they know i am going to take their photo. just various people i meet that peak my curiosity i put in my little collection to remember. .

There was a guy wearing a chicken suit walking down the street last week, but upon review he worked doing that getting people into a business establishment and was on his way to work so wasn't worth the photo. Now if come to find out he wore that every day because he was kind of fruity i would have taken a photo because that would have been a "different character".

off subject though sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back