I tried taking pictures of people

robd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4648660721_ce0f591d1b.jpg

4649279908_44a9f3acf0.jpg

first real "attempts" at portrait/people pictures. I dunno how they turned out. I like the first one though. No flash used.

C&C Appresh.

The first one is just not exciting, I dont like her right arm being cut off. I think the composition needs work.

Good idea for the second one, but I cannot tell if focus is off, or that the background is just as sharp, plus cut off again. I have no problem with certain cut offs if its a cropped shot, but for a 3/4 body shot, there should be not cut offs.

What lens are you using? i suggest picking up a 50mm 1.8, I use it alot for portraits, its cheap and the 1.8 will work great.

The first pic i think looks like a snap shot and a couple of no no's happened such as the pic was cut off at her wrists (dont' cut the pic off at the joints.) and part of her arm is cropped off. It can be difficult sometimes when a subject is shy or just doesn't know how to naturally pose their body so you have to be ready to direct them if needed. Her pose looks natural probably to her but it comes off dull....like no thought was really put into it. her face is green also probably because the cast from the trees.
The second pic is a cute pose but its out of focus.

see this is why I originally posted this is the beginners/beyond the basis section, I didn't expect feedback as if these were professional haha.

here, I recropp-ed it. I didn't see the arm at first actually, thanks for pointing that out. That happened when I rotated it. I'll post it up tomorrow when I'm not tired, I'll take a second look at it too. Becuase right now, I need sleep.

are you doing anything post, like in photoshop?
I hate to say it but most of the photos on here you see that are wow, have a LOT of work post processing.
If these are straight out of camera, they are pretty good, IMO.

They are snapshots. You didn't even use any lighting equipment (flash, reflectors etc.) so the outcome will be somewhat bland.

It depends on where and when you take images outdoors. In the shaded area of image #1 you won't get a good contrast. Everything is just diffused light. This will appear quite boring.

The girls appears to be standing a bit hunched over. The pose is very important for the look of an image. Some people just don't look appealing when standing. Have her sit down or lay on the grass - many options. This may help her to relax and also be more natural.

While the shot looks properly exposed I'd rather over expose it a bit just to make it look "fresher". Since she is smiling it shouldn't hurt.

The importance of using a flash or reflector is (amongst others) to create catchlights (or highlights) in the model's eyes. That gives them life. Very important!

You found some people who have fun taking pictures with you. Take advantage of that! Get a reflector (those silver reflectors for the car windshield to protect form the sun - you can get them for $3 at Big Lots or something) or use your flash sometimes.

On camera-flash or built in flash may not create a beautiful look but sometimes it's better than no flash at all.

Good luck!

creisinger could not have said it better; even still with some PP you can 'improve' the final product like i did here; hope you don't mind
4648660721_ce0f591d1b.jpg
kimf.jpg

Tulsa you're being kind of harsh on the kid; he's not bragging he's a Pro; he's humbly saying he's a noob; maybe he has a few things to figure out before he can 'fill' you requirements ; but he IS trying and he's also looking for inputs on his work

I KNOW you have your opinion and this is a place to share it...but still dude go easy; at least he didn't over PP the pic like some do...

Munky, I think you need to chill on the bold print. It's hard to give you the benefit of the doubt that you aren't trying to sound like a jerk when everything is in bold and then has over-capitalizations within it.

I think everything ha been said from the critique point of view. Lots to work on, but it's a pretty good start for a beginner. Like someone said, if you've got people that like being in photos, maximize that and keep practicing.

Munkey: The editing...I dunno, I kinda like it but at the same time it's not really that natural. It looks overdone to me.

are you doing anything post, like in photoshop?
I hate to say it but most of the photos on here you see that are wow, have a LOT of work post processing.
If these are straight out of camera, they are pretty good, IMO.

I know. I didn't spend a LOT of time in LR on these. I was tired haha.

Munky, I think you need to chill on the bold print. It's hard to give you the benefit of the doubt that you aren't trying to sound like a jerk when everything is in bold and then has over-capitalizations within it.

I think everything ha been said from the critique point of view. Lots to work on, but it's a pretty good start for a beginner. Like someone said, if you've got people that like being in photos, maximize that and keep practicing.

thanks. I'm not a noob to cameras, just to portraits.

They are snapshots. You didn't even use any lighting equipment (flash, reflectors etc.) so the outcome will be somewhat bland.

It depends on where and when you take images outdoors. In the shaded area of image #1 you won't get a good contrast. Everything is just diffused light. This will appear quite boring.

The girls appears to be standing a bit hunched over. The pose is very important for the look of an image. Some people just don't look appealing when standing. Have her sit down or lay on the grass - many options. This may help her to relax and also be more natural.

While the shot looks properly exposed I'd rather over expose it a bit just to make it look "fresher". Since she is smiling it shouldn't hurt.

The importance of using a flash or reflector is (amongst others) to create catchlights (or highlights) in the model's eyes. That gives them life. Very important!

You found some people who have fun taking pictures with you. Take advantage of that! Get a reflector (those silver reflectors for the car windshield to protect form the sun - you can get them for $3 at Big Lots or something) or use your flash sometimes.

On camera-flash or built in flash may not create a beautiful look but sometimes it's better than no flash at all.

Good luck!

thanks. She hates pictures though :D haha

I haven't read/learned much as far as portrait photog goes, so these were just an attempt at it to see how I liked it/etc. I dunno, maybe I can get her in to more pictures.

Just for my own education's sake, I have a question that could benefit the OP also. When just starting out with portraits, is it wise to maybe take a picture without cutting anything off (limbs, etc) and including more on both sides on the subject, and then crop it after? Most camera's have a high mp count and unless you're planning on making huge prints, wouldn't it be less "limiting"?

That's what I usually do with all of my shots. I guess I kinda went in too close because when I rotated the first shot straight, it was clipping her arm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back