I wanna be a PRO.... lol

bnkrecords

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok, I dont really wanna be a pro, but I would like some help from a seasoned photographer.

I was thinking about upgrading to the D3x or the D700, but the prices are way too high for me without getting some extra glass. So I think I will expand on my D200

My question is, since my glass was broke by the children, I need to start over with the lens, and maybe the lighting system. Currently using SB800, but not much since Im still new to photography.

Im wondering, what should i get? I want to be able to turn my garage into a mini studio, like a set up that Portrait innovations uses. So if you can help me out, what light system, lens', ect ect should I get?

Budget,

As far as the lens' go, i dont want to spend more than 2,000 on glass, and no more than 3,000 on lighting

any suggestions?

also, how do the photographers take the pictures and have it automatically load into the computer a split second later? Is it a certain software?

lots of great questions in here! I'll address this one:

also, how do the photographers take the pictures and have it automatically load into the computer a split second later? Is it a certain software?

YES, is software... you use nikon, so your looking for Nikon Camera Control Pro... its called tethering to your computer... you use a USB cable...

i have my computer setup to automatically import the photos into lightroom after they are taken... camera control pro is set up to send pictures to a certain folder on my computer, and lightroom is set up to automatically import from that fodler when ever there are new pictures in that folder.. its great

as for your budget.. I would say you can get some great equipment with that budget.. i will let the studio pros address that though

lots of great questions in here! I'll address this one:

YES, is software... you use nikon, so your looking for Nikon Camera Control Pro... its called tethering to your computer... you use a USB cable...

i have my computer setup to automatically import the photos into lightroom after they are taken... camera control pro is set up to send pictures to a certain folder on my computer, and lightroom is set up to automatically import from that fodler when ever there are new pictures in that folder.. its great

as for your budget.. I would say you can get some great equipment with that budget.. i will let the studio pros address that though

Cool, I just got Camera Control Pro about 20 minutes ago, I will try it out tomorrow and see how it works., thank you for your reply

ANYONE ELSE ABLE TO HELP WITH THE OTHER QUESTIONS?

If you are looking for great glass, I would look at the Nikkor 24-70 F2.8 and the 70-200mm F.2.8, that is a good base for the lenses and if you ever want to go full frame they are the right lenses for it.

As for the light setup, start by looking at www.alienbees.com they offer several lighting packages at affordible prices.

If you are looking for great glass, I would look at the Nikkor 24-70 F2.8 and the 70-200mm F.2.8, that is a good base for the lenses and if you ever want to go full frame they are the right lenses for it.

As for the light setup, start by looking at www.alienbees.com they offer several lighting packages at affordible prices.

Lens suggestion +1, lighting, not so much.

OP - Switch your budget. $3000 will get you the two listed above and they'll be almost perfect for pretty much everything.

Lighting, well, you have to learn lighting first. Here's a basic link. It doesn't do much for the foundation and only focuses on small speed lights, but the same can be applied to studio lights.
Strobist: Lighting 101

The Alien Bees are a decent budget strobe, but if I were you, I'd personally look at Elinchrom lights. You can get 4 d-lite 4's for about $1400, maybe even cheaper. That leaves you $600 to buy light stands and modifiers. Four lightstands, some gels, two softboxes, an umbrella or three, and at least one snoot would be a really good setup and could all be had for under $2000.

But the thing is, lights will do you absolutely no good if you don't know how to use them.

You will not magically become a pro by buying pro equipment. Start slow with photography classes and maybe an entry level job at a studio and see if this is really for you. There is a lot of learning involved with photography, not only technical skills, but the business end also. Not trying to be negative, but any camera salesperson will convince you to buy a bunch of equipment and they will never tell you what a tough business this is. Be realistic and learn things one step at a time before making a big investment.

Agreed with lens suggestions, but maybe you should take it slower and see what you feel like.

I hear what you are saying, as far as "trying" it out for a while, I already know its something I want to do.. Not professionally, but for my own personal hobby. I do want good equipment though, so I know I will buy it in the future, I just wanna know what to get.

Most reactions

Back