I want a blurred background...

theheater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope someone can help me... I want to take close-up portraits and have the background blur... how can I achieve this... is it possible with my camera? I have a Kodak P880, and the lens is the following:

5.8X optical zoom, f2.8-f/4.1/f/8.0
(35 mm equivelant: 24-140 mm)

Any help on this would be great!!! Thanks.

I know I need to use the f2.8 setting, but with my test shots, they don't blur the background enough... :x

Background blur is dependent on the following:

1) Aperture (2.8 will blur more than 4 which will blur more than 5.6 which will....etc.)
2) subject to camera distance
3) subject to background distance

If I recall correctly, digicams do not blur the b.g. as much as an SLR because the sensor inside is smaller and it is also much closer to the rear element of the lens...or something to that effect. Buuuuuuuuut anyway, to get the shallowest DOF you can, zoom way in while still being as close to the subject as possible and bring the subject farther from the background.

Background blur is dependent on the following:

1) Aperture (2.8 will blur more than 4 which will blur more than 5.6 which will....etc.)
2) subject to camera distance
3) subject to background distance

If I recall correctly, digicams do not blur the b.g. as much as an SLR because the sensor inside is smaller and it is also much closer to the rear element of the lens...or something to that effect. Buuuuuuuuut anyway, to get the shallowest DOF you can, zoom way in while still being as close to the subject as possible and bring the subject farther from the background.

Good call!

NJ

5.8X optical zoom, f2.8-f/4.1/f/8.0
(35 mm equivelant: 24-140 mm)
Focal length is not the only thing needing converting. The 35 mm equivalent of f2.8 -f8 on your tiny sensor digicam for depth of field (bluriness of background) is about f11-f32.

In simple words.. The more you zoom in the more the background will be blurred.

If you have photoshop . . .CHEAT! One quick way that gives good control of the result is to duplicate the image and apply Gaussian Blur to the level you want - possibly lens blur is better and then paint back in your main subject with the history brush. As well as softening the background, sometimes slight desaturation of the duplicated layer can give a more dramatic effect and make the subject "jump" out of the image.
Thomasreading.jpg

This was one from last Sunday's First Communion Shoot done quickly as one of about 190 images.

You can also use the blur tool in Photoshop to do more fancy effects like the old making a real thing looking like a model trick...

468617193_e44cda6b80_b.jpg

That looks more like really weird tilt/shift than any other bokeh I've ever seen. No offense intended.

That doesn't look too real but it's the next best alternative for those who don't have the lens to actually do it right.

that looks very strange... but if the effect was applied in a more subtle way... it could look neat.

but if it was more subtle, it would maybe not serve the demonstration purposes here ;)

Hi

I'm new to photography and had a similar problem when I first started attempting portaits, the solution was actually really simple. I dont know if you already have - but try putting more distance between the subject and background. Not possible all the time but if you are shooting planned portaits you might find it works.

Most reactions

Back