I WANT A DOG! (PART III) (updated with pics)

Um Corry, that was a good story, but there were no PICTURES! :lol:

Seriously though, I hope Maya's tummy is feeling better soon. :)

Ok, ok....since you've all MOBBED ME! ...these suck, but they're the best I've got for now. :)

Meet Maya....

These were right after our walk today, so she still has her training collar on....
PrettyMayaSM.jpg

Maya1SM.jpg

MayaCouchSM.jpg

And I seriously think she had at least some training before, because she's picking stuff up awfully fast. She walks without pulling, right next to me, not out in front of me, and she's not the best at sit, but she can do it and is already getting better, and in these pics I had her sit, and stay, and I walked a few feet away so I could get some pics, and she did! She didn't stop til I said "Ok, good girl Maya!" :D

She's beautiful and she seems at home already! Was she surrendered or was she a stray? Sounds like she's adjusting really well :love:

Hello Maya! :)

she's adorable! and... i see that she's already owned your bed :p

mentos_007 said:
she's adorable! and... i see that she's already owned your bed :p

That's not my bed, that's the couch. She hasn't been on my bed yet. :) Not sure if I'm gonna let her or not....not gonna yet though.

Congrats on finally getting her. I would like to mention though that your choice of a training collar could be better. Not trying to make you feel bad or anything but just wanted to enlighten you a little. Choke collars don't teach a dog anything, they only choke the dog when they pull, you don't want to "punish" (choke her) for being bad. You instead want to reward her for being good. The best way to teach her not to pull is to walk her on a regular collar and everytime she starts to pull, make her stop, and have her sit. This will let her know that pulling will not get her what she wants. If she is really wound up and pulling towards a specific target, make her stop, then turn around and walk the opposite way. It may take a while to get around the block and you may have to stop every couple of steps but eventually she should get the idea and learn not to pull. You can speed up the process a little by giving her a treat or a pat on the head and praising her everytime she stops pulling or when she walks for a while without pulling. I suggest not giving her a treat eveytime but rather give her praises or you will create a monster that only listens when you have a treat:lmao: (I have one of those.) But...

if she just pulls to pull (not towards any specific thing) you can get diferent training collas and harnesses that are safe for her. My boxer who is 10 months old is interested in absolutely everything, so she will pull every direction to get to anything. I use a gentle leader head collar for her. Not sure where you live but you could always get it from ebay or somewhere else online. They even come with a training guide and a dvd to help you. I do also believe that the training video shows you how to teach her to sit and maybe a few other things with the headcollar. It may look a little weird but it actually works. It basically works like a horse halter, they walk whatever direction you lead them. It is so nice to be able to take peaceful walks without being pulled down the road. I even bought one for my boxer doberman mix because he is big and normally doesn't pull but if he would ever take off after anything, I don't think I would be able to hold him back, this way, I know I always have control.

Here is a link to an ebay auction to a gentle leader, they also make a harness but I have never tried it, I am quite satisfied with the head collar.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If you do get one, make sure it comes with the video and training guide as they have to be fitted just right (it is easy to do if you know what to do.)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
She has such a sweet face! :) And she looks so GLAD to be out of the kennel and settling in her new home. :heart:

The good vibes are spillin' out from those pictures, Corry. I think you have a new best friend. :sillysmi:

She can fetch!!!!! We've been playing fetch with a tennis ball for the past 10 minutes! She did great! If she didn't know how to play before, she sure picked it up quickly! Thankfully I have a HUGE apartment, and there's plenty of room to play inside, so we can get some energy out when it's crappy outside! :D

Thanks Andrea! Thanks JTH!

Now the fun part....is getting her HOUSEBROKEN! (while she still has a VERY upset tummy from the constant switching of foods at the shelter. FUN! :S

Most reactions

Back