i want a rangefinder so badly...

Dear Santa,

Stock_1017100000001.jpg

Yes please. :lol:

Zaphod; that's a rangefinder camera, not just a rangefinder.

Myopia; rangefinders can be found at

http://www.bearbasin.com/rangefinder.htm

In addition, the older Leica rangefinders show up on ebay from time to time. One is going down about 4 hours from the time of this posting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leica-rangefinder-METERS_W0QQitemZ200058888934QQihZ010QQcategoryZ15234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are others.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Saymon-Brown-NY-Rangefinder-Viewfinder-Leica_W0QQitemZ270069832202QQihZ017QQcategoryZ29965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Scratching this particular 'itch' shouldn't be too difficult, Myopia.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah sorry, I tend to use the term interchangeably, figured maybe Myopia was doing the same... only just realised this was in the Equipment section not the Collectors!

's OK. I tend to attract rangefinder cameras, by the way. Might be my deoderant or something. Somehow, they just magically find their way to my camera shelf and snuggle in among the other rigs. They're a delight to use, particularly for 'street' photography.

Many older rangefinder cameras are available at give-away prices. Some of the more modern ones [1960's & 70's] use batteries that are no longer available, but there's usually a work-around or they can be run in full manual mode with the aid of a hand-held exposure meter.

Torus34 said:
's OK. I tend to attract rangefinder cameras, by the way. Might be my deoderant or something. Somehow, they just magically find their way to my camera shelf and snuggle in among the other rigs. They're a delight to use, particularly for 'street' photography.

Many older rangefinder cameras are available at give-away prices. Some of the more modern ones [1960's & 70's] use batteries that are no longer available, but there's usually a work-around or they can be run in full manual mode with the aid of a hand-held exposure meter.

would you care to sell me one??? :blushing:

i have been dreaming about the semi-realistic ones for a while now, such as the canon-p, canon IV, leica iii,
konica hexar RF, etc

anything else i should add to the list? all i will be using on it is a 50mm or 35mm lens.

mysteryscribe said:
If you are talking film you can buy them all day long on ebay for peanuts.

i am talking film, but i dont want a "peanuts" camera like a zorki or fed.

maybe u can send me in the right direction as far as a good rf camera to learn how to use the rangefinder system on, yet once learned, i wont need (or even want) to replace. it also has to have nice glass...

edit: i LOVE that minolta CLE by the way....

Shame you dont want a fed or zorki... In my opinion they are probably the most under rated of the range finders. I have a fed 2 and a petri 7s both are excellent cameras. The optics are about average for cameras designed without a computer.

there are lots of name brands that im sure are just as good for well under a c note.

Myopia;

As you are interested in decent glass, I would suggest a Leica M3 or later as a starter for you. The summicron 50mm f2 lens is acceptable. Most of the folks who have gotten one of these have been reasonably satisfied with them. You might want to run the rig through the shop for a CLA.

Hmm... I would also look at some of the Screw Mount (SM or LTM) Leicas or Leica copies, not necessarily Russian. The Leica III series (such as a, c and f) are good and simple to operate/fix. Also look for a Canon IVSB, one of the better Leica copies out there. Nicca (Tower) made some as well. But most likely you will be able to land a Leica III series without having to spend too much. I do have a Leica IIIa and a IIIf (sold my IIIc) as well as the very rugged M3. And I wouldn't call the Summicron just 'acceptable'...:lol: It's a very good piece of glass if it's in good condition. Nothing like the feel and look of a picture shot with it.

If you'd rather have something new but reasonably priced, and a system instead of a fixed lens camera, the Cosinas sold under the Voigtlander name look nice.

I've often thought about buying into a rangefinder system but have always ended up getting distracted by SLRs, digital, medium format etc. Possibly my favourite cameras to use though are old compact scale focus cameras, i.e. with no focus confirmation of any sort. The lenses on some of the 1950s Voigtlander Vito cameras are great, and it can be very rewarding when you're guessing focus as well as exposure with no help from the camera.

Most reactions

Back