i want a rangefinder so badly...

Mitica100: Sorry 'bout the 'acceptable,' but Myopia seemed to be setting the bar rather high. Anythiing less than first class execution of the Zeiss Tessar design would probably not meet his l/mm expectations, to say nothing about contrast. Any body less than an M3 might not have the whistles and bells [parallax correction, etc.], not to mention robust construction, that would be desired in a long-term 'keeper' camera body.

Mysteryscribe; I'm not much of a nitpicker on lens quality. Something less [rather quite less, to be honest] than the very finest matches quite well with my skills, expectations and 'vision.' So I use a Kiev4AM, Zorky 3-C [3-S] or Fed 3 [depending on how the mood strikes me on a given day] for 'street' photography.

Torus34 said:
Mitica100: Sorry 'bout the 'acceptable,' but Myopia seemed to be setting the bar rather high. Anythiing less than first class execution of the Zeiss Tessar design would probably not meet his l/mm expectations, to say nothing about contrast. Any body less than an M3 might not have the whistles and bells [parallax correction, etc.], not to mention robust construction, that would be desired in a long-term 'keeper' camera body.

:lol: 's all good! Myopia needs a little 'hands-on' experience with the Leica SM because they're a pain in the you know what to load with film. Then, maybe then will he look for a little less esoteric RF camera. ;)

And there are many more out there worth mentioning...

I love my rangefinders.... It started with the Canonet's and moved on from there.

For something affordable, with more features, a extremely wide array of lenses, and something built recently, I would recommend looking into one of the M-mount Voigtlander Bessas ( R3M for example ). A body and 50mm lens is obtainable for significantly less than a new Leica body. I've been eyeing the following: Voigtlander Bessa R3m with 50mm f2 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 nokton. www.cameraquest.com is a wonderful resource and shop.

Unless you've got money burn, I wouldn't recommend getting into Leica although prices keep heading south. My all time fav is the M3. I've sold Canon EOS high end stuff to get money for Leica stuff.

this is what i want.
7f_12.JPG

well, a variation of it.

myopia said:
this is what i want.
7f_12.JPG

well, a variation of it.

Well, well... Expensive taste! That's the IIIg, most expensive and most sophisticated SM Leica. Probably a couple thousand for a body and a lens.

The IIIf RD (as in Red Dial, more collectible than BD or Black Dial) is almost as sophisticated as the IIIg but a whole bunch less expensive. The IIIf BD (you guessed...) is even cheaper than the IIIf RD.

Myopia, they're great cameras but they can also frustrate you. Loading the film is not easy and comes with practice. If you ever get one I'll tell you my tricks on how to load the film. Meanwhile, dream away... maybe one day you'll get lucky and get a IIIg or an M3.

markc said:
How about this?
Okay, I kid. I kid. But it is handy if you ever get attacked on the street.

:lmao: :lmao: That is one of the ugliest cameras ever put together by mankind. Yet, don't laugh, the Cintar is a pretty good lens! Too bad it was wasted on such a monstruosity.

Mitica100 said:
Well, well... Expensive taste! That's the IIIg, most expensive and most sophisticated SM Leica. Probably a couple thousand for a body and a lens.

The IIIf RD (as in Red Dial, more collectible than BD or Black Dial) is almost as sophisticated as the IIIg but a whole bunch less expensive. The IIIf BD (you guessed...) is even cheaper than the IIIf RD.

Myopia, they're great cameras but they can also frustrate you. Loading the film is not easy and comes with practice. If you ever get one I'll tell you my tricks on how to load the film. Meanwhile, dream away... maybe one day you'll get lucky and get a IIIg or an M3.

yeah that's the stage i am at right now:
1.establish priority item (current stage)
2. buy it.

-about that model, it was just the body i would like to work with. the red-dial ones are what i am lookin at...no more than a G for body+lens for me. i hope i can get my new digi cam fixed so i can sell it....ha

edit: to clarify- all i want is leica glass

The IIIg is readily available and there are shops which can put it into like-new condition for you if needed. Luigi can provide a new case.

The only remaining step is to break the ol' piggy bank and buy it.

Meanwhile, here are some nice pictures to look at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEICA-IIIg-3G-CAMERA-MINTY-CASED-SUMMITAR-5cm-LENS-NR_W0QQitemZ260062168996QQihZ016QQcategoryZ30030QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

As an aside, you'll probably only realize the very best the camera can provide if you use a low ISO slide film or a low ISO b&w film coupled with either your own darkroom work or that of a really good pro lab. Needless to say, your enlarger lens should be something considerably better than an old Coke bottle bottom.

Please let us know if the rig met your expectations.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Torus34:
so. what i meant by good glass is not what u might think (figuratively), but speaking literally, u are spot-on. i am not a lens or company snob. i want this camera to be the camera that end my collection. i want to master using this next camera for the rest of my life and be able to pass it down. (i may just have to buy a TLR first...)

and those pictures of the iiig make me want to rob a bank...

End a collection? Ahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha....

Wait, you're serious? :lol:

ZaphodB said:

Exactly my thoughts! :lol:

Myopia, it's Christmas time, splurge! Get yourself a little IIIg, you'll never regret it.

ZaphodB said:

Wait, you're serious? :lol:

Funny... I just spent a bit of dinner convincing my wife to let me get another display case. She noticed that a couple of my cameras found their place on the neighboring bookshelf. lol

Two final thoughts:

As the number of cameras you have increases, it tends to reach a 'critical mass' beyond which new additions just kind of 'happen.' [Now, that old Kodak 35 was a strange duck -- kinda like a normal 35mm of the era that was captured by the Borg. I wonder how that would look sitting next to a C3?]

A good golfer has a selection of clubs in his bag. He doesn't use a putter when a wedge is called for, nor a wedge when a driver is needed. Different types of cameras are suited to different situations. The rangefinder is one of the best designs for 'street' photography, but for extension tube copy work, I use a SLR for ease of framing. B&W scenics? I choose an old 6x6cm twin lens reflex for the increased negative size. Architectural work? A tilt & swing 4 x 5.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back