I want a UV filter. Which brand?

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon 24-105 f4L and a Canon 50mm f1.8. I own a tiffen UV filter for the 50mm but it is a tiffen (which i heard isnt the best) and i constantly shoot with my 24-105's front element always exposed. It uses a 77mm and i was thinking about getting a hoya filter for it. Is hoya the best one to go with or does someone recomend something better?

Hoya is a good choice to go with. I'm sure i'm not the only one who will say to not put anything in front of the lens and just snap a hood on the lens.
TJ

I'm sure you're aware that there are two camps on this issue...

I'm in the "no UV filter" camp, but if you absolutely have to have one - I like B+W.

I'm sure you're aware that there are two camps on this issue...

I'm in the "no UV filter" camp, but if you absolutely have to have one - I like B+W.

My sentiments exactly. I prefer B+W 010 for protection; at times, like during the spring, deciduous trees put off a very fine mist of airborne sap in micro-droplets. At that time of the year, I insist on using a filter. Otherwise, no filter for me. Indoors = no UV filter. Ever.

I am in the no filter camp myself. I plan on doing a lot of wilderness/beach shots this spring and protecting my front element is starting to become a must have. I was looking at filters on BH and there are like 6 differant uv's ranging from 40-100. Crazy

I am in the no filter camp myself. I plan on doing a lot of wilderness/beach shots this spring and protecting my front element is starting to become a must have. I was looking at filters on BH and there are like 6 differant uv's ranging from 40-100. Crazy

OK, for what you intend to use it for...

Yes, you might actually want to have one, and you will want a good one.

I still recommend B+W...a 77mm one will probably be pretty pricey...around $100 maybe.

Get one to fit your largest lens (77mm I take it...), and get step down rings to use it on your other lenses.

EDIT
If you usually use a hood, using step down rings might be difficult... The filter will be larger than the opening (lens side) in the hood.
You would have to put the hood on, then put the filter/step down ring on - which will be tricky with the hood on.

Last edited:
B+W, Heliopan, Hoya SHMC

Just take note.. many brands have "levels" of quality.

I use filters.. I don't use caps at all nor hoods. I shoot primes and don't really baby the lenses. Just like hoods are used when needed, the filters are removed when I see the potential for flare. It takes 2 seconds..

I still recommend B+W...a 77mm one will probably be pretty pricey...around $100 maybe.

Get one to fit your largest lens (77mm I take it...), and get step down rings to use it on your other lenses.

77mm Ultraviolet (UV) Glass Filter $46

77mm UV Haze 010 (MRC) Multi-Resistant Coating F-Pro Glass Filter$85.50

pay for what you get?

...I would go with the second one. And, BTW - you do realize that's the exact filter Derrel suggested a few posts up...;)

77mm Ultraviolet (UV) Glass Filter $46

77mm UV Haze 010 (MRC) Multi-Resistant Coating F-Pro Glass Filter$85.50

pay for what you get?

...I would go with the second one. And, BTW - you do realize that's the exact filter Derrel suggested a few posts up...;)

im just trying to justify the cost. 1200 lens deserves an 85 dollar filter .... right?

Yeah. If it makes you feel better, it's only 7% of the cost of the lens. :lol:

1200 lens deserves an 85 dollar filter .... right?

The $85 filter will fare just as well as the $10 one when you drop your lens on the sidewalk.

What the **** is that even supposed to mean?

Nobody here is advocating the use of a UV filter to protect your lens from a 4' drop onto concrete.

Last edited:
I like the Hoya HD filters. I have been very happy with their quality.

Most reactions

Back