I want to be a slave!

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
sorry I didnt think the title through and I am sorry if it offends anyone, I was just referencing to a page on DPS "Step # 2: Become a slave."

I was reading up on articles on how to improve my photography. Allot of people say to contact pro's and ask to see if you can assist them for free.

I live in Amherst Ohio, and there isn't that many local photographers. So I googled for a list and found this studio: The Gallery at Lantern Hill

So my question to all the more professional photographers would be, how should I contact this person to let them know I'm interested, besides " Hi I want to assist you for free"? And would you want a 15 y/o kid assisting you?

Last edited:
Oh man, the heat must be getting to me. I totally didn't think of something...safe for work...when I read that title...

Yeah not really the best way to start a topic but I guess it gets peoples attention! But maybe they are scared to come in and read the post!

Ahem --- musicale's "thoughts" aside lets have a look at this ;)

Well there are a few ways you can approach them - firstly I would say get yourself a website put together - nothing fancy a free webblog program or even just a flickr or photobucket account (flickr would be better as you can leave longer notes and lines under your work to talk about it). Somewhere that you can display your works to the company (and others) and also be able to show your understandings - talk about the setup you used for shots, the settings you used and why, what you think could be made better etc... Show that you are a keen shooter and willing to learn, not just the level of work you can produce.

Then I would contact the studio, most likley through email unless they are very close to you - that gives you a chance to drop the link to your site along with a polite request to assist the photographer in the field. This means you don't have to worry about printing off a portfolio (though they might request one to show your best work so be prepared for that) which can be a tricky thing to master (good printing that is).

I'd say putting together a port is a tricky thing to master too. You have to be absolutely, horrendously brutal with your images. If there's anything you don't like about it, it's probably not good enough for your port.

Oh man, the heat must be getting to me. I totally didn't think of something...safe for work...when I read that title...

Really?

I assumed it was going to be something to do with flash!

I was wrong but I did think of something worksafe. :lmao:

I figured about 3 flash heads and a camera pointed at a bed with lots of ropes and whips involved. God I need help.

How to contact them? In person. Go up into their store, if there's a receptionist ask to talk to the photographer. I would think take a very small concise portfolio of your best photos with you that may interest him.

Tell the truth. Tell him you're after experience, you want to learn, if he kindly denies, then ask if he knows of any other photographers who may be willing to help out.

sorry I didnt think the title through and I am sorry if it offends anyone, I was just referencing to a page on DPS "Step # 2: Become a slave."

I was reading up on articles on how to improve my photography. Allot of people say to contact pro's and ask to see if you can assist them for free.

I live in Amherst Ohio, and there isn't that many local photographers. So I googled for a list and found this studio: The Gallery at Lantern Hill

So my question to all the more professional photographers would be, how should I contact this person to let them know I'm interested, besides " Hi I want to assist you for free"? And would you want a 15 y/o kid assisting you?

honestly... no one but family or a friend would take you on at 15...
Most will require you to have some sort of qualification for photography instead of just going with them, they aren't there to tutor you, they are there to give you an insight to how their workflow works
Damn, some/most wont take you on till your 20

Unfortunately they most likly will not bring you in even for free. Child labor laws prevents this. If it were your parents, you can legally work for free for them (business supports the family so round about way you do get paid). But a business owned by another individual other than family they are required to pay you. Chariatable work excluded of course.

Next problem is if it is a single person or a family business (other than your own). They are not required to carry workers compensation coverage. By bringing in just 1 person outside their family they have to pay for worker compensation coverage. So, that is a cost they would have to pay. They may already have it, but alot of photographers are single entity or family operations and don't have it.

Third problem is your 15 and have to rely on others for transportation.

Now having said that, this should not prevent you from asking them some general questions. Make yourself presentable (wear good clothes and have a good clean appearance) and visit their office / studio. Be up front and say you really wish to learn professional photography and wondering if they hire students for any position (don't expect a photographer position, if they do it will most likely be just general help). If you are polite, presentable, and professional attitude. They will answer you in a friendly manner. Don't be suprised if they say no. If they flat out say no, thank them for their time and leave. If they say they do, but not hiring at the moment. Ask if you can keep contact with them. You can take a small portfolio with you, but don't expect to get a job taking photo's. Take them as an example of what you have done, and explain you wish to learn more. And would like a position working in a studio to gain more experience. That is if they do hire outside help, and younger inexperienced people.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice! and whats with all the all about whips? never mind.:irked:

But I get my temporary drivers license soon so when I am able to transport my self I will head over there and maybe send a email prior to my arrival.

Ok... First.. well ahem.... well now. Slave? Welcome to corporate America... (ITS A JOKE RELAX!!)

Seriously... The advice above is the most important! DRESS THE PART! Far too many times people come into businesses dressed like they just came from a frat party. (Ans I have seem some doosies!)

Clean, dressed well, brushed hair, brushed teeth, etc. I cannot emphasize this the most. Especially pro end companies. They have a reputation to keep, and a long haired hippie type wont cut it on a high end wedding.. (Unless they are long haired hippies also..)

Speak clearly and cleanly. And most importantly, DON'T embellish (lie) about your abilities. Your asking to become an apprentice. Translation.. You don't know what they do, your there to learn! Walk in like you want the job (OK apprenticeship) but also be humble.

You'd be surprised at the way they may actually take you in. But remember, until your 16-17, you cannot get a wage. (Federal laws on that.)

I went through this same dilemma. When i was 15 i wanted to shadow a local photographer and i emailed her asking if she ever needed any help that i'd love to come help out any way i can.

I went to a shoot with her son. And then another shoot and then she hired me. This year i upgraded from reflector/light jockey and framer: to second shooter at weddings.

The answer is yes! She actually loves the fact that im young. She flaunts the fact that she has a sophomore in highschool doing work with here. because that means she has another 3 years before she has to train sombody else in.

She actually turned down a 30-somethign yo to work with me. So you never know. Your age might be your biggest selling point. Pull the trigger and see what happens. The worst he can say is no.

Well I'm working on an e-mail:
Subject: Looking for experience

Dear Sir. or Madam

My name is James Conkle, and I am a Sophmore at (my school) and the photography editor for the schools paper. I was just wondering if you needed any assistance at your studio. I am willing to work free of charge, just for the experience. You can find some of my work at jamesconkle.webs.com, and can contact me via e-mail: [email protected] or telephone: (my phone number)

Thankyou for your time,
James Conkle

I'm not one for writing so what you'd think?

Honestly, Dont be too hasty in trying to take a quick route to fame,
Your 15, you have ages left.
Learn your art a bit more, try get some sort of degree to show you are willing to put effort in and not just looking for an easy route to fame / riches
I'm going to college this year to get a degree just so i can get into college for photography, next year.
then once i do the course next year, i will try for university course in photography.
Although, I will probably go job seeking during my course (although they say i will be studying 80% of the time im home.)

Sure, try it, if you get into the apprenticeship, welldone, If you don't, It is a good lesson learned and experience for the future.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back