I Want to Become a Professional Sports Photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol dude, this forum isn't a kiss and cuddle forum (quoting a previos thread). I'm 13! I have had many moments when I have been trolled. Many posters here hate me (I know) and they are also very bias towards me and my actions. I have caused many stirrups on this forum and sparked many arguments. Iv'e only been here for 2 months!mBut I get over it! There have been many occasions where I wanted to quit this forum. But I haven't as this is a PHOTOGRAPHY forum. This forum will help me with ideas and what not. I have learned so much here! And I'm not going to throw the towel or quit photography because of one post or thread. Just relax, remember what this forum is all about! And just say 'haters gonna hate!'.

shoot me a PM and ill link you to some other good forums, where people are encouraging and not trolls. the only reason why i made an account here is cause ive been lurking and saw that they have a very strong sports photography forum... i've already met someone whos been doing it for 30+ years which is amazing, especially since i get to talk to him 1 on 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
o hey tyler said:
Yes he did, bro. That's why I made the reference. However, living in Silicon Valley does not mean that you automatically inherit a large, supercooled server center with offsite backup locations connected via Fiber Optic cable where TPF is hosted. (I actually kind of doubt that TPF is hosted in a facility like that, but I could be wrong) :p

I know what servers look like, but I always picture them being dusty and ugly for some reason. You never know, this guy could have been born in a rich family that owns website servers! That's why he doesn't see $100k as too much money!

JoshuaSimPhotography said:
And just say 'haters gonna hate!'.

yAt2t.gif

-Ken Turner

yeah i feel it man theyre just a bunch of *******s. shoot me a PM and ill link you to some other good forums, where people are encouraging and not trolls. the only reason why i made an account here is cause ive been lurking and saw that they have a very strong sports photography forum... i've already met someone whos been doing it for 30+ years which is amazing, especially since i get to talk to him 1 on 1.

Seems like you posted some "youthful" statements to start off with and some people (with too much time on their hands) decided to knock you around instead of realize they are also being rude...I wouldn't worry about it.

You just got some smart information from some seasoned professionals and now you can get to work. Get some education, research, read, understand light, and practice more. Since you are 17 you can get an AA degree in photography and be more advanced than 75% of the people on this forum by age 20, if you really want to.

Dude, you seem to have a real attitude problem. Most of the people here are trying to help. It is up to you to filter what information is useful and what information isn't. If the information freely provided isn't useful ... then thank the provider and move on. There is no need to be hostile.

Here is my first piece of advice to you, mature-up. You haven't a clue the competitiveness of news. You walk into an editors office, string book in hand looking for a photo spot .. and with your temper and atitude you'll be shown the door before you'll get a chance to sit down. Why? Because the editor/chief photographer doesn't have time to baby sit immaturity. It doesn't matter how good you think you are, because there are 100 photogs right behind you who are better skilled, more experienced and mature.

G

Here's a thought: go down, in person, to a weekly small-town newspaper in your area. Tell them you are available for freelance sports assignments. Surely you ought to be able to deliver two to three GOOD images per assignment, fit for publication. It's not that difficult; most small-town weekly newspapers rely on freelancers for the sports photos. You have a sports portfolio right? You will not be starting off at a very high level, so do not expect big dollars; something like say $35 to $50 per assignment, and $10 to $15 per picture, per USE, with the assignment fee paid JUST FOR SHOWING UP at the assignment, no matter if pics are run,or not.

Thanks Darrel, exactly what I'm going to try to do. I haven't really shot any live sport events, except for BMX and skate contests, which I don't think are legitimate enough to use in a portfolio for "sports" photography. Do you know if you're allowed to bring a dlsr with a tele into a hockey event such as an NHL game? We have a pretty big NHL team in our area who plays frequently (san jose sharks).

Would love to know before I invest in some tickets to a game.

Cheers

Welcome to HP Pavilion at San Jose - San Jose Sharks - Fan Territory

Cameras: Guests are permitted to take still photographs during Sharks games. However, use of camera equipment may not infringe upon the comfort, safety or convenience of fellow guests. So as not to block the view of our guests, lenses exceeding six inches in size aren’t permitted during Sharks games, except by accredited members of the media. Tri-pods or single-pods are also not permitted as they can cause a tripping hazard.

I assume that you are still in high school. I recommend you sign-up for the school's newspaper (or equal) and if you call up the Sharks or anybody else they may be willing to extend a press pass to you. If you hook-up with a school reporter and find a story with a school angle, then you're almost 100% guaranteed a press pass. Same for other sporting events. In fact shoot everything at you school, the plays and high school sports should be free for you.

The think about photography is to shoot, shoot again then shoot some more. Your skill level increases with experience and the greater the variety of experience the better photographer you will become. The trick is to take what you learned shooting one genre and apply it to a totally different genre.

I volunteer at Whitney High School in Cerritos, CA. Whitney is the #1 public high school in California (per testing). Here are some snaps from high school:

2CBL3192.jpg

900444514_6KHtZ-L-1.jpg

534883655_MHVvL-O-6.jpg

534889768_ZzTX8-O-6.jpg

1195073317_xucJk-O.jpg

1196607578_ViWQh-L.jpg

1239568342_4hQyx-O.jpg

1239571837_rQfQc-O-1.jpg

63273734_aqwBG-O-2.jpg

59740875_Yhjh4-M-4.jpg

Gary

Last edited:
Instead of shooting the sports themselves I would suggest working on becoming a top portrait photography or wedding photographer for professional sports athletes and stars. Then you might be able to pull 100k a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back