I want to buy a Better Beamer but I don't know which one?

jtmiv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dear Board,

I have two flashes that I am considering using with a Better Beamer. The first is a Sigma EF-530DG. On this flash the head measures 2 7/8th's in width and about 1 3/4th's in height. The other candidate is a ProMaster 7500DX. The head on this one measures 3 1/8's wide and 1 11/16th's high.

Having never used a Better Beamer but reading the descriptions on Naturescapes, NatureScapes.Net - The Resource for Nature Photographers ...-compatibility-chart.html, I am thinking that maybe either an FX-2 or FX-3 would work. One is narrow ears and one is for wide ears that are 1 3/4".

My problem is that the sides of both flashes appear to be neither narrow or wide? The sides on both flashes are not dead straight but neither are they curved or rounded. At best they are ever so slightly more narrow at the top and bottom of the flash head than they are at the widest point in the center of the head.

I am hoping that someone who uses a Better Beamer with one of these flashes can help me choose? If you don't use it with one of these flashes but do know the measurements of the flash head of your flash and it is within the measurement ranges I've given I'd be open to your suggestions as well.

Thank you,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA

I noticed the compatibility chart says the FX-3 is designed for Canon 580EX II and 600EX-RT. My 580EX II is on loan to a friend, but I'm measuring the 600EX-RT and it's just over 3" wide (3-1/16th") and just under 2" tall (1-15/16").

I'm not quite sure how it would fit on the sides because the sides of my 600EX-RT are not perfectly flat. There's a moderately curved section of about 1-1/4" wide but then the shape of the sides angles in more sharply.

It is not critical. I use a beamer on the 550EX. they are adaptable, Nothing really critical but you focus point will move slightly depending haw far back on the flash head you have it. Be consistent with your flash distance...just set it to maximum i.e. 105mm in my case. Then practice!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back