I want to buy a dSLR... No BS what takes the best picture Canon EOST1i or Nikon D5000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that the D5000 will only autofocus AF-S and AF-I lenses, as it lacks an autofocus motor in the body, and while Nikon puts autofocus motors in most of their lenses, they do not put them in all.

Objective. Controlled. Specific. Repeatable tests.

Compare cameras

And wrong, at least on the stats I first brought up. It says a 7D is a 3FPS camera :p

Well, in lower light the 7D IS A 3 to 4 FPS CAMERA, in actual use, in the real world,even at fast shutter speeds or even when underexposing the scene to get a faster shutter speed artificially with the intent to post-process "lift" and recover the image. Quite a few users who bought the 7D expecting that it would make a good low-light sports camera have reported that once the light level drops, no matter the exposure the camera is set to, the firing rate drops as low as 3 or 4 frames per second.... 7D not always 8fps: Canon EOS 7D / 50D - 10D Forum: Digital Photography Review

As for the quote that the 7D is a 3fps camera....wow--they have a typo on the site. I suppose that invalidates the entire site, right?

here's the rap on the 7D from an owner, and the Canon manual:

"here's a note on page 93 of the manual "In low-light areas or indoors, the continuous shooting speed may become slower even if a faster shutter speed is set."

"Regardless of mode & shutter speed, in low light, the burst speed does appear to slow down to 3-4 fps. Even with manual focus & Manual mode with a high shutter speed set. This can be overridden in Av & Tv by using AE Lock, but there is no workaround when shooting in M. Canon says it's their new metering system slowing the framerate down (accuracy over quantity), but why should this apply in M? The camera is not calculating exposure.
To demonstrate the phenomenon, and to prove it isn't shutter speed, buffer or focus related, set the lens to manual focus, mode to M, shutter speed to 1/1000, aperture to whatever, high-speed drive mode, low quality JPG. Point the camera directly at a light source and hold down the shutter. Should fire around 8fps. Still holding the shutter release, point the lens at the ground, or cover it with your hand. The burst will slow down. Uncover, rate goes back up."

So...Canon claims the 7D is a high speed camera....but in the real world, it's often no more than 3 to 4 frames per second....hmmmmmm.....

Any comment on that? :p

Actually, I was just ribbing. I own a 7D and I'm well aware of its performance variations in a wide array of situations. But feel free to use any chance you can to pontificate. Really. No, go ahead :)

I agree with a couple previous posters:

1. The person pushing the button is more important than the button.
2. Go to a store and see which camera seems the most ergonomic to you.

In my opinion, the lens will be the most important part of your purchase. So if you are really concerned about image quality, figure out what system you want to buy, then research lenses, and then buy the camera.

Here is an interesting comparison to check out: G10 vs Hasselblad

Thanks PerfectlyFlawed ! I love to hear peoples personal opinion !!! If you read reviews everything is 50/50 but they never say which takes all around the best pictures.

Go figure.......these days, damn near all camera bodies are of equal ability. I took my first photo with my 1DmkIV yesterday.....guess what, I would be hard pressed to tell if it came out of my 5DII or 1DIV. This topic is stupid.

Does the D5000 use all of Nikons autofocus lenses or do you have to play the "alphabet soup" crap typical with low end Nikon bodies? All EF/EF-S lenses will work with the T1i. Just something to think about.

It's not that difficult, you make it sound like you need a decoder ring to figure it out... Anything by Nikon with AF-S in the title will work. Almost all new lenses being made for Nikon have focus motors.

Add to that, about 99% of all Nikon lenses ever made will work on a D40/D60/D3000/D5000 body, some won't meter or auto focus, but they'll all mount and function perfectly.

Depends on which pic.. that first pic I was so sure the D5000 looked better.. but in some of the others I really preferred the T1i.
Generally with default settings Nikon's over saturate which gives the impression the image looks "better". Canon tends to produce more neutral colors allowing the photographer to adjust saturation in post editing (which I prefer). If you shoot in JPG mode and use your images straight out of camera without editing, the Nikon images may be more pleasing to your eye.

It's not that difficult, you make it sound like you need a decoder ring to figure it out... Anything by Nikon with AF-S in the title will work. Almost all new lenses being made for Nikon have focus motors.

Add to that, about 99% of all Nikon lenses ever made will work on a D40/D60/D3000/D5000 body, some won't meter or auto focus, but they'll all mount and function perfectly.

Some would call that an oxymoron.

Depends on which pic.. that first pic I was so sure the D5000 looked better.. but in some of the others I really preferred the T1i.
Generally with default settings Nikon's over saturate which gives the impression the image looks "better". Canon tends to produce more neutral colors allowing the photographer to adjust saturation in post editing (which I prefer). If you shoot in JPG mode and use your images straight out of camera without editing, the Nikon images may be more pleasing to your eye.

When you say Nikon's you mean Nikon's in general? Not just the D5000? I'm getting better with photoshop, but I'm teaching myself so if this is the case with all Nikon's I may be better off with something more visually pleasing from the get-go rather than having to do "more" editing.

Not looking at the D5000, the D3000 is more in the price range I'd like to stay at since I'm not exactly looking into professional photography.

When you say Nikon's you mean Nikon's in general? Not just the D5000? I'm getting better with photoshop, but I'm teaching myself so if this is the case with all Nikon's I may be better off with something more visually pleasing from the get-go rather than having to do "more" editing.

Not looking at the D5000, the D3000 is more in the price range I'd like to stay at since I'm not exactly looking into professional photography.
Every Nikon I've seen, from the D3000 to the D3, over saturates by default. You can dial this up or down, as you can with the T1i or any Canon. But using default settings one is more saturated than the other in my experience.

Honestly, if you want out of camera JPG images and don't want to edit your images in post, I think Nikon has better JPG rendering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back