I want to buy a Film SLR

Charles89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
But my budget is kind of small.

I want something good that I can keep.

At the moment my film camera is the yashika 200-af, but I dont know if its good. (I just got it, finishing my first roll atm). there is an AF 35-70 macro lens on it. (the af seems broken or I just dont know how to set it properly).

4445_182934665033_762695033_6929868_7578483_n.jpg

Id like to know first what my yashica is worth :p

Do you require autofocus, or is manual ok? There are a lot of good hearty manual focus SLRs available for very little these days. Nikon Fe/Fe2, Canon AE-1 are often the first to get recommended.

Make sure the switch on the side of the lens is in the AF position ... then press the Reset button.
If AF does not work then the AF motor might be shot.

Otherwise just use the camera in MF.
I believe that they kept the same Yashica/Contax mount so you can put manual focus lenses on it.

You can find some high quality Contax/Zeiss lenses for it on eBay.

I do not think the camera has much value as there are very few people who would want to buy it.

as Sjixxxy said "Nikon Fe/Fe2, Canon AE-1 are often the first to get recommended" I have both, and the're graet cameras, I do aslo have a couple autofocusing 35mm cameras and I find myself using my older camera out of my colection much more often. but as was also said, if your happy with the body you have you can use it in MF and keep using that.

Well I figured out a way to make the AF work.

The AF switch and reset thing didnt work at first but I repeated it a couple times and it ended up working :p (locking and unlocking the len a couple of times did the trick I think)

I would use the camera in MF ... from what I remember the AF was not the fastest compared to other cameras (during that time) ... otherwise it was not that bad functionally. One of the better buys.

I was in the market for my first film SLR a few months ago. A lot of people here gave me some good recommendations:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/film-discussion-q/150466-film-camera-black-white-class.html

I actually went against their advice and got a Canon EOS Rebel 2000, a newer film SLR made in 2005. I used it in manual mode for a photography class. I got the camera with lens, bag, and lens cleaning kit for $50.00 on eBay. The camera was in like-new condition and lens alone retails for $120. I plan on keeping it when I upgrade to a DSLR soon.

If I were in your shoes - I'd be looking for an EOS body. It looks like you already have a DSLR (Rebel, can't tell which one), so you already have lenses that you can use on it. Any new lenses you buy will work on both bodies. (With the exception of EF-S lenses - they will not work on a 35mm body.)

I plan on keeping it when I upgrade to a DSLR soon.

No reason not too. :)

If I were in your shoes - I'd be looking for an EOS body. It looks like you already have a DSLR (Rebel, can't tell which one), so you already have lenses that you can use on it. Any new lenses you buy will work on both bodies. (With the exception of EF-S lenses - they will not work on a 35mm body.)

Yeah I got an XSI, ill look into EOS thx man!

Yeah I got an XSI, ill look into EOS thx man!
There are a lot to choose from. Same as the dSLRs - there's high-end, prosumer, and beginner bodies. Luckily, the high-end bodies are much cheaper than their digital counterparts.

What kind of budget are you working with? You could find a ton of good bodies in the $2-300 range.
(You can still find good ones cheaper than that too, of course.)

KEH Camera: Canon Auto Focus - Camera Bodies

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back