I want to punch UPS In the face right now

frommrstomommy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My camera went out for cleaning and was scheduled to be delivered back yesterday. They ALWAYS deliver late on base like 5pm+ so the 20 minute errand I ran at 11am seemed like a safe bet.. NO. Came home to a notice and that they'd attempt delivery the following day since it required signature. Ok, no biggie.. I stayed home all day long waiting on their 10:30-2pm time frame re-delivery and just now.. at 8:30pm there is nothing so I go back to check tracking and they juuuust updated it to say this: We've left the package in one of our vehicles. This may cause at least one business day delay. / Delivery will be rescheduled.

WHAT?? My D600 is where??

Not cool, UPS. Not cool.

Any reason not to clean it yourself?

Any reason not to clean it yourself?

I did minor cleanings here and there but the D600s had the free cleaning offer from Nikon so I took advantage ;)

According to Thom Hogan, the oil-flinging often requires a detergent-based cleaning solution, and swabbing, and then a more traditional, alcohol-based fluid and multiple swabs' worth of diligent cleaning, thus making an oily-sensored D600 ,well, let's just call it "a bugger" to clean. Using good, name-brand Sensor Swabs, I would say a typical self-cleaning on an oily-sensored D600 might easily run into the $30-$35 range of Sensor Swabs, per cleaning, given the expensive nature of GOOD swabs. And my experience is that the oil , or whatever lubricant is used, is kind of a biatch to remove. My D3x flings oil as well...and it is a b***ch to remove...it's far worse than dust.

As Thom notes, the D600 is NOT like the d-slrs that came before it and after it, and the cleaning on this is not the run of the mill dust that just blows off, or even the kind that takes two swabs and is then gone...the oil tends to smear, so the detergent base solution is needed to get the lubricant to break down, and then a second type of cleaning fluid is needed. According to the hundreds of users who have e-mailed him, the oil-flinging original D600 cameras get a very dirty sensor after 4,000 to 5,000 frames, and the cleaning is NOT just the blow-blow-swipe-swipe with one drop of Eclipse solution on the first swab, then one dry swab, for a 5-minute job and only $12 worth of Sensor Swabs...

This is a camera that Nikon techs deserve to clean...it's Nikon's fault.

Last edited:
Plus after 3 nikon cleanings you can ask for a new camera

You want to hear something funny.

When I order from Adorama and they use their free shipping, all the packages come to the local Fedex place (I could literally walk there in 15 minutes) but then are shipped about 30 miles away to a USPS distribution place. this meandering adds about a week to the shipping. This has happened multiple times.

I changed the shipping address to my parents house and they get it directly (fedex to the local post office) right to their house.

We live in the same city.
5 houses away from each other.

I have all adorama packages sent to my parents house now. It gets there a week earlier than at my house.

Oh wow, thats pretty dumb.

I have all adorama packages sent to my parents house now. It gets there a week earlier than at my house.

Prime gets it delivered the next day. (depending on what it is, etc.)

Not cool, UPS. Not cool.

In my town there is an option to go to the local distribution center (after the trucks get back) to pick up your package.

^^ They offered the pick up at the center thing and I probably should have just opted for that. Oh well. The thing better arrive today or I will be hunting their truck down on this base. lol

^^ They offered the pick up at the center thing and I probably should have just opted for that. Oh well. The thing better arrive today or I will be hunting their truck down on this base. lol

When I ordered my 16-35 I had it set for next day delivery, but nobody was home when they tried to deliver. So I called the usual UPS driver, and he called the guy working who met me close to our house they evening. So, I've hunted them down before. Gear is important!

Well, its here! They did however, time it perfectly to arrive as soon as I stepped into the bathroom this morning. They had to make things at least slightly difficult. lol

Haha why would they make it easy?

Most reactions

Back