I want to shred his eyelids

Aquarium Dreams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A professor who has a Ph.D. should not teach at the community college level! The resulting inferiority complex is too much for any student to bear!

For whom? Him or you?
There is nothing wrong with anyone seeing an example of intelligence now and then. Most of the people we are faced with in everyday life (especially on TV) have the intelligence of a tennis ball and are not as much fun. This gives everyone the conviction that they are 'clever' and so convinces them that they know what they are talking about.
A brush with someone intelligent now and then just puts the majority firmly back in their place - just below the major primates. :lmao:

On the other hand, I've know many PhD's and rarely do I meet one that is intelligent in any area other than their one subject. They may know every detail of Mesopotamian history in the IIIrd Millennium but they can't even tie their own shoelaces. I actually met someone like that once. His excuse was that the Mesopotamians didn't have shoelaces!
You just gotta feel sorry...

Editors Note: Hertz van Rental has a tested IQ of 160 and left MENSA because he found it was full of idiots.

i've had professors like that . . . but i also have very personal relationships with some professors who have doctorates, and teach at community schools because they wanted more time to do their own thing.

the guys at my 4 year school who had phd's weren't as good as the ones with only a masters . . . for the most part anyways.

phd's are just a higher hoop they jumped through, its not a measure of intelligence.

There is nothing wrong with anyone seeing an example of intelligence now and then. Most of the people we are faced with in everyday life (especially on TV) have the intelligence of a tennis ball and are not as much fun. This gives everyone the conviction that they are 'clever' and so convinces them that they know what they are talking about.

Hmm.. yes. So as not to offend any of the millions of fans of the five or six shows that just sprang to mind, I just want to say:

1. Being mean in the name of being "honest" is not an indication of intelligence.

2. Feeling intelligent does not make a person intelligent.

3. Calling other people "idiots" and "too stupid to be allowed to breed" does not make the speaker intelligent.

4. Related to the first point: Contrary to popular belief, sarcasm is not an indication of intelligence.

5. Related to the second point: The ability to make other people feel stupid is not an indication of intelligence.

6. Everyone likes to feel intelligent.

:lol: I've been dying to get that off my chest.

If education isn't a measure of intelligence and if sarcasm isn't a measure of intelligence, by golly, what else is there?

Also, I think I'm ADD. Is there a way to measure that?

Some observations:

1. Being mean in the name of being "honest" is not an indication of intelligence.
The truth always hurts so when an intelligent person is actually honest the moron on the receiving end just sees it as an example of meaness. As in "it's mean to remind me I'm stupid."

2. Feeling intelligent does not make a person intelligent.
True. But feeling someone who is intelligent can give you both a lot of pleasure - even if there is a short test afterwards to see if you were paying attention.

3. Calling other people "idiots" and "too stupid to be allowed to breed" does not make the speaker intelligent.
See (1) above. I would say, though, that if a person realises for themselves that they are too stupid to breed this shows a fair degree of intelligence. As that commodity is in short supply they should be encourages to propogate as much as possible.
I would also make the point that the comment "too stupid to breed" displays a high level of stupidity. Sex is the one activity that anyone can do. It takes no intelligence for a man to rise to the ocassion or for a woman to feign receptivity.

4. Related to the first point: Contrary to popular belief, sarcasm is not an indication of intelligence.
Sarcasm isn't even an indication of life. But it doesn't stop it being a fun activity - especially when the recipient is to stupid to notice.

5. Related to the second point: The ability to make other people feel stupid is not an indication of intelligence.
On the contrary. You can only make someone feel stupid if you are more intelligent. And if you are really intelligent you can make them feel so inferior they put you in Hospital.

6. Everyone likes to feel intelligent.
And everyone likes to feel attractive, knowledgeable and healthy too. But life is full of bitter little disappointments.

If education isn't a measure of intelligence and if sarcasm isn't a measure of intelligence, by golly, what else is there?
Being able to walk upright and not have your knuckles drag on the floor.

Also, I think I'm ADD. Is there a way to measure that?
Use a ruler. You'll get bored long before you find out it's the wrong thing to use - but by then you will have discovered that a ruler can be used for loads of other fun things.

Editors Note: Hertz van Rental has a tested IQ of 160 and left MENSA because he found it was full of idiots.

I spent an interesting 3 years teaching students with tested IQs from 160 to 180.
It was a great challenge and a lof of fun!

skieur

This is just my take on things, but I feel the only measure of intelligence is how much a person realises they don't know. A willingness to acknowledge that they may not know everything and an eagerness to learn.

If someone is going to listen and learn from you, they're intellegent.
If someone is going to tell you they know this and that and tell you you're wrong on a subject because they feel they're smarter than you, then they're a nob.

I've always held the view that you should use your ears and mouth in the same proportion that nature provided them in.

I find that the more I read this thread, the more I need to learn about people (and occasionally distance myself further from them than the constraints of one planet will readily allow). I am though keen to absorb that learning, as it will allow me to more accurately calculate what the correct distance ought to be.

I don't consider myself particularly intelligent, though I don't believe myself to be an idiot either.

I find that the more I read this thread, the more I need to learn about people (and occasionally distance myself further from them than the constraints of one planet will readily allow). I am though keen to absorb that learning, as it will allow me to more accurately calculate what the correct distance ought to be.

ping-_\|/_ ... the birth of desert landscape photography.

ping-_\|/_ ... the birth of desert landscape photography.

Hmmm... it cannot be a chance occurence that I am rather surrounded by the stuff. Why then have I not availed myself of it? I believe that maybe I need to look around a little.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back