I was reading..

yea, you definitely DON'T want to convert from RAW then edit the photo. hehehe

You should open the photo via a RAW editing program...ie Lightroom, Photoshop Adobe Camera Raw, Aperture....Then once you save or upload convert to whatever.
I disagree.
You most certainly can and want to get the photo as perfect as you can when editing the raw image, but you can also open that image into main PS and utilize plug ins and layers to create more intricate adjustments. Upon completion of that you save it as image quality 12 and leave it be.

They were implying taking a photo that was shot in RAW, converting to jpeg or something else, then doing the post process after. You agree with that? That really is defeating the purpose of shooting in RAW. At that point the information from the RAW file is lost.

I get "Could not open document because it is not the right kind of document" msg when I try and open up a Raw file in PS cs3.. there is a plugin I'm finding camera raw 4.6 Going to try and see.. thanks fellas..

yea, you definitely DON'T want to convert from RAW then edit the photo. hehehe

You should open the photo via a RAW editing program...ie Lightroom, Photoshop Adobe Camera Raw, Aperture....Then once you save or upload convert to whatever.
I disagree.
You most certainly can and want to get the photo as perfect as you can when editing the raw image, but you can also open that image into main PS and utilize plug ins and layers to create more intricate adjustments. Upon completion of that you save it as image quality 12 and leave it be.

They were implying taking a photo that was shot in RAW, converting to jpeg or something else, then doing the post process after. You agree with that? That really is defeating the purpose of shooting in RAW. At that point the information from the RAW file is lost.
This is what I was trying to point out.
When you open your image and process the raw file, you will adjust the basic crap (camera profile, sharpening, white balance, your exposure, contrast, clarity, and vibrance) and get the image you want. You can then open that file into a jpeg format and use plug ins to do any additional creative enhancements that you simply cant do otherwise.

You can also use the raw file to create multiple highly quality jpegs at varying exposures and setups, to combine, creating a layered high quality jpeg, with more range then what you could so with the single raw conversion.

I get "Could not open document because it is not the right kind of document" msg when I try and open up a Raw file in PS cs3.. there is a plugin I'm finding camera raw 4.6 Going to try and see.. thanks fellas..
Camera raw 4.6 is what I am currently using....:thumbup:

I get this document is not the right kind message when i try and open up a raw file in photoshop..

I disagree.

This is what I was trying to point out.
When you open your image and process the raw file, you will adjust the basic crap (camera profile, sharpening, white balance, your exposure, contrast, clarity, and vibrance) and get the image you want. You can then open that file into a jpeg format and use plug ins to do any additional creative enhancements that you simply cant do otherwise.

You can also use the raw file to create multiple highly quality jpegs at varying exposures and setups, to combine, creating a layered high quality jpeg, with more range then what you could so with the single raw conversion.

Just curious why you would still edit in jpeg? Tiff is better because it actually saves information about the photo's pixel content.

Holy**** batman.. I just fixed it.. simple as it said.. thanks men..and women..

The software that came with my camera will convert my pictures AND save as RAW.

Now I have to figure out that TIf thing he mentioned Damn it...
It's just another file format. Think of it being between RAW and JPEG. It will save, for example, different layers for use in photoshop, where JPEG will not. I'd recommend just stick to editing in RAW, and exporting to JPEG when you're done.

I looked at the file extensions and when I save multiple exposures out of raw it saves them as .dng files (digital negatives)...

I also save projects in tiff format when I have multiple layers I am working on.

DScience- I agree, editing it in a raw file format is the best way to maximize the image quality.

Most reactions

Back