I wish I had $650 for a Rolleiflex!

There is a Rolleiflex 3.5f model 3 at an antique shop about an hour away from here for $650. I want to add a Rollieflex to my collection because I think they are gorgeous! (And because of other excellent qualities). But this would literally wipe out my entire savings account :-(.

Rolleiflex 3.5f 2285507 model 3

If anyone else is interested I'd play gopher for a small fee to cover gas.

"Rule 408: Time is not the boss of you"

Just missed out! I sold my last Rollieflex last week but I think I have an argoflex left... If you're just using it for looks you can't beat the argo :) I have a deardorff too and some bigger studio cameras that are pretty nice if anyone else is a vintage photography nut xD I'd check eBay for any and all vintage cameras, that's where I sell mine and one of my Rollieflexs that was in decent (still functional) shape sold for $450, if you take you time and follow allot of auctions you can get a deal! Good luck :D

Some of my collection ^^ I don't generally get to show people who appreciate or care lol

Attachments

• IMG_20170319_233854.jpg
    IMG_20170319_233854.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 156
Honestly I think the mid-model Yashicamats like the 124G had a better lens anyway.

Some of my collection ^^ I don't generally get to show people who appreciate or care lol

Gorgeous! I love cameras with character. Modern cameras, to me, lack an aesthetic appeal (I have a hard time getting excited over ergonomic black plastic).

What are the three little cameras on the front right?

Gorgeous! I love cameras with character. Modern cameras, to me, lack an aesthetic appeal (I have a hard time getting excited over ergonomic black plastic).

What are the three little cameras on the front right?

One is a Carl Zeiss Robot, that one is my favorite to use, the tiny one is one of my micro "spy" cameras lol idk which one and I think the other one is just a Kodak but I thought it looked cool...

Honestly I think the mid-model Yashicamats like the 124G had a better lens anyway.

For several years, a Yashicamat 124G, along with a couple of Honeywell Strobonars, were my main battery for wedding photography. I made my own 6x4.5 mask out of chart tape, and could get great results with it, square or rectangular formats.

I see nice used 124G's around here for as little as $125. I'd buy another one, but I use a Mamiya C330s and three lenses for 6x6 work now.

Last edited:
I sold our rolleiflex 3.5e a few years ago for $200.
Had the zeiss f2.8 lens. 75mm I think?
I think I miss my mamiya 645 more.

I've just bid on a Flexaret VI with all the accessories. Tested and fully functional, of course.

I use a Mamiya C330s and three lenses for 6x6 work now.

Mamiya TLRs are rad. I've always wanted one.

At "normal" lens focal length (75-80mm), the Rollieflex probably has a slight edge in sharpness, but at 6x6 format, the negative size isn't as critical. I've seen 6x6 as large as 24"x24", and the format is great. I like the C330 for its versatility in lenses. Lots of flexibility.

I use a Mamiya C330s and three lenses for 6x6 work now.

Mamiya TLRs are rad. I've always wanted one.

I'm kind of "over" sharpness, and none of those mid-century tessar designs are exactly "sharp" anyway - that's not why you'd use lenses of this vintage. Certainly the Yashicamats weren't, but nonetheless, they had a very romantic feel to them, and offered pretty good contrast, especially on the ortho end of the spectrum.

To quote @Bitter Jeweler, sharpness is overrated.

So, what is the deal with this Flexaret VI from the formerly-known country of Czechoslovakia? I see the VI is a multi-format 120/35mm TLR, top speed of 1/400 second, 80mm lens, looks at least decent I guess; it looks better-made than many of the post WW II Japanese cottage-industry TLR's of the 1950's and early 60's era. Anybody know how good it is?

So, what is the deal with this Flexaret VI from the formerly-known country of Czechoslovakia? I see the VI is a multi-format 120/35mm TLR, top speed of 1/400 second, 80mm lens, looks at least decent I guess; it looks better-made than many of the post WW II Japanese cottage-industry TLR's of the 1950's and early 60's era. Anybody know how good it is?

I found out about the model from a YouTube video about TLR cameras, he reviewed a Rolleiflex, and American model, and a Flexaret. He had high praise for the capabilities of the camera, and I'm drawn to its unique aesthetics as well, and it's place in history.

This is another YouTube video from the same guy (The art of Photography) all about the Flexaret VII which he says is only subtly different than the VI.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back