I wish I were David Burdeny

sothoth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How do you suppose one goes about getting this sort of effect with such a dark sky and intense contrast with the light features on the cement structure?

http://www.davidburdeny.com/ (under the section "Asia," image #14)

When I look at this guy's photos, I suddenly feel like a roach. Someone please step on me.

I saw his photos in the recent edition of "Digital Photographer" magazine.

It's all film, on some 4x5 camera, I think. But I didn't buy the magazine, they probably said exactly what he does to achieve the look. :(

Actually I guess taking a film shot in no way precludes doing digital editing. So... perhaps that's correct.

rbw%20%2822%29.jpg

This image was taken with a very dense red filter, It kinda gives InfraRed'esque looks to but doesn't make foliage white, just more neutral.
This monument was quite dark, but the top had been warn down and you can see it's much lighter.
The sky would have had the same near blackness if it wasn't such an over cast day and a 90second exposure.
He just got a really good/cool location.

A lot of these look like they're done with very long exposures... does that mean he's taking the photos in the morning or evening? I can't see any other way he can get that effect of the smooth water combined with cloud or moon movement unless these are morning/evening photos at small aperature and low ISO over a few mintues.

I have been interested in his work also. I have been to a gallery of his work here in Vancouver.

He shoots predominantly in large format film. He prefers to shoot in "bad" weather conditions. Overcast days, low light. At and around sunset and sunrise. He shoots in small apertures like f22 and sometimes uses a red filter. The exposure times from what I read are around 5-6 minutes. He uses film rated at ISO 50. He prefers not to use digital as it introduces noise at these exposure lengths.

I have shot some stuff at 5 minute exposures and it's very true. Also, every bit of dust in the sensor chamber seems to find it's way on to the sensor. So clean sensor chamber and sensor is critical. He obviously does more work in photoshop.

Most reactions

Back