I won an iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Big Mike, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I finally had a Saturday when I didn't have to photograph anything or anyone. My step father signed us up for a golf tournament...it was to be him, me and my two brother-in-laws. Unfortunately for him, the week before at the family reunion, he fell off the roof of a camper and broke both of his ankles. We found a replacement and went to the tournament without him.

I used to golf quite a bit...but I was never really any good. I've managed to break 100 (for 18) only once and shot under 50 (for 9) only a couple times. Anyway, I hadn't done any golfing for a few years. The other guys were a little better but not by much...we were basically a group of hackers.

That didn't matter because it was a really nice day and we had a good time. The best part was one particular hole where there was a side contest. There were a couple at this hole from the United Way, raising money to buy school supplies for underprivileged kids. You pay $2 for a ball and a chance to hit a small raft that was tethered in a pond, about 100 yards away. The tee area was elevated and there was a head wind...so even for a pro, it would have taken some luck to hit the raft that was only about 3 feet wide. As I mentioned, I'm not very good...but at least the best part of my game was chipping & short irons.
    I used my wedge and hit a nice clean shot that went pretty high. The head wind blew it back just enough and I hit the raft! It wasn't a bulls-eye hit but I was amazed that I even got close. They said that nobody else had hit it yet but there were still several groups to come though. If anyone else hit it in the middle, they would trump my hit. At the dinner, after the tournament, I finally got the news that nobody else had hit the raft and I was the winner of an iPOD Touch.

I've never had any type of iPOD before, only an old MP3 player with a tiny, low rez screen. This thing is amazing. With 8GB of storage, it can hold a tone of music, video & photos. I've also installed some great applications and games. It's totally awesome. It even has internet capabilities, although I haven't found a WiFi network to try that out yet.

Anyway, after the side contest, we continued with the golfing. It was a par 4 and we all teed off. It was a 'best ball' tournament, and my brother-in-law had the best shot so we all went to his ball to hit our second shots. It was about 150 yards out from the green and my B.I.L. hit his shot onto the green...a couple bounces and a little roll and it was in the cup! He got an Eagle on a par 4...which is pretty much a once in a life time even for hackers like us. Needless to say, we were all pretty excited for the rest of the day.

2. Puscas

Puscas TPF Noob!

Ha! That's great! Congrats on the shot and the Touch....

[​IMG]

pascal

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  3. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How exciting! Doncha just looooove winning free stuff? I'm doing the happy dance for ya. :boogie:

4. Phazan

Phazan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pshhh I could have done that with my eyes closed.

congratulations though! Ipod touches rock

5. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's awesome, Mike! I love my iPhone, which is basically the same thing as an iTouch, just with the phone added on. :p

I also just got done setting up my little cousin Nicole's new iTouch for her. I put a whole bunch of games on it, too . . . she loves it!

6. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cool BM, congrats!

7. bace

bace TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I got an iPod touch a few weeks back for taking 5 shots of the VP's at my company.

Great Apps:
    - iTunes Remote Control
    - BeatMaker
    - Aurora Fiest (game not sure if I spelled it right)

Using the web is great with the touch except for safari not having a flash viewer.

And make sure you don't take any screenshots (pressing the power button and the home button at the same time), for me every time I plugged in my iPod after accidentally taking a screenshot, it would shut down my comp. (blue screen of death kinda thing). Looked it up and if you just delete the screen shot it's fine.

That said, I effing love this thing.

Watching "Generation Kill" right now on the commute. So much fun.

8. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I installed the Labyrinth game, I've already beat all the levels but it's still a really cool game/idea. I also put on a Carling beer application...just something cool to impress the friends with.

I haven't used it on-line yet...I'm excited to try that out.

9. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    congrats!

never owned anything starting with an i ;)

10. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would probably never buy anything so trendy but getting it free is fine by me :D

11. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm more interested in the wedge you used than the iPod, personally I don't care for those, but cool golf shots are a different story.

Not knowing exactly the wind condition, I prolly would have attacked this with a lob wedge.

12. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It wasn't gusting but that was certainly the windiest spot on the course. It was elevated and open in all directions. The pond was probably 50 feet below the tee box and they estimated the target to be about 90-95 yards away.

When I'm hitting the ball well and can put a lot of power into the swing, without loosing control...then I'd guess my full wedge to be 110-125 yards. My lob wedge could probably go 90 yards at the max.

I wasn't really hitting that far and I didn't think my lob wedge would have the distance unless I swung out of my shoes. Besides, I usually hit my wedge better than my lob wedge.

I used an old range ball. They gave me a new(ish) ball to use, but I pocketed that and used a range ball I had on hand. I lost the new ball on the next hole anyway :roll: