i wonder...

Mike Jordan said:
It's your house and your rules, I just wonder sometimes if you see it the way others do.....
When was the last time you guys had a critique of The Photo Forum anyway? :D
Of course we see it as others do. We have spent, and still do spend, long hours agonising over what goes on in the CF and the best way to do it.
We came up with several models and felt that the one we are using would be the most effective with the least intervention.
If honesty is the watchword in this thread, then let us get honest.
The tone of a post in the CF is actualy set by the person who makes the initial post.
Giving information, their thinking and what they want views on gives a positive tone and one that encourages responses from readers.
Posting an image with no information at all is rather stand-offish. It gives a feeling of 'my pictures are so good they don't need comments'.
It makes one wonder why it has been posted there.
Of course it is usualy because the poster hasn't bothered to aquaint themselves with the rules, but the tone remains.
Jon or myself posting subsequently with the wrist-slap just drives another nail in.
And Jon and I both know that we have the task of Sisyphus in there - but we feel it has to be done.

We have critiques of the PG too. We are currently discussing what is to be done to improve it - although the discussion seems to have petered out.
Present thinking is that we might split the PG into 4 new ones - each loosely themed as to subject matter.
Hopefully me spilling the beans will kick-start the debate again.

Job security? Hah! We have to pay to do this job!

Hertz van Rental said:
although the discussion seems to have petered out.

Cant blame me, I have last post.

I think the whole site seems to be going well...after all...just look at how many members/posts/topics we get a day, then come back to us :D

if it gets too big in the photo gallery, you could just do what they do on other big forums like FM. limit each user to one photo post per day.

That works for FM because they have a number of catagories that get many postings a day. And with the number of unique posts that are made in the Photo Gallery, it would still drive a post to the back pages very quickly.

Oh well. The speed at which images get buried doesn't seem to bother the majority of the users here... or they don't get around enough to see how it works on other forums and having several defined catagories would allow their postings to be seen by more people, which would allow more comments to be made on those images. I'm not one to beat a dead horse, so I'll drop it and move on. TPF is a nice forum and it will continue to do well, even with out multiple image catagories. :D

Mike

Hang on in there.
God may move in mysterious ways - but he sure can get a move on if you kick him hard enough :lol:

Most reactions

Back