I would love some feedback.

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by helpimonfire, Oct 15, 2007.

1. helpimonfire

helpimonfire TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I apologize for the huge amount of photos. I've been recently pondering the idea of getting seriously into the photography industry. I would likely be attending a technical school first then possibly branching out from there. But before all this i need to sharpen my skills and find things to improve on. Keep in mind that most of these pictures were taken with a basic digital camera with no tripod as i haven't been able to afford an SLR just yet. Any feedback on subjects, angles, exposure, etc. would be much appreciated. This may help me determine if i can take this from just a hobby to a career.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KaleyEs

KaleyEs TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    it's kind of hard to comment when you have so many pictures... but anyway, i really like the one of the guy with the guitar and i think the one of the guy on the lake and the reflection of the mountains is great as well. so is the one of the sun and the water and the one of the mountains and the lake without the guy. i think they are all nice but only a few really stick out to me.

3. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    second last one is really good.
    You COULD make a career in this...if you learned and practices a lot.
    You have a pretty good eye, just you need to understand better what makes an interesting photographer, and a bit more about exposure. But to be honest, you have lots of potential.

You can do anything you put your mind to.

4. emogirl

emogirl TPF Noob!

the first few shots were fantastic....yes, i think you have a good eye....keep reading, keep practicing and you can go places!

5. helpimonfire

helpimonfire TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I appreciate the feedback. I've definately started reading up around this forum and various other sites. I'll hopefully be taking a good basic digital photography course here soon to get a base and branch from there.

6. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Too many pictures to comment on each of them. One thing I have noticed and that is easy to correct: your horizons are not horizontal. That is very disturbing for landscape pictures. Buy a small spirit level that will fit in the hotshoe of your camera, set the camera on a tripod and the problem is solved.

7. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Heya helpimonfire, welcome to ThePhotoForum.
    I went into your thread and added spaces and numbers to your photos.
    For when there are so many photos for people to view and they all flow into each other AND have no numbers, it is next to impossible for viewers to point out this or that to you. So my advice: when you put in your links, put at least two spaces between them, and once you post more than 3 photo into one thread, give them numbers. For the time being, I did that for you.

And I'm with Sideburns on the second to last, which no is Photo 16 - that one is really good.

Other than that you live in some wonderful surroundings, which offer you many very pretty scenes, so there's ample opportunity to practise, I think. Do the occasional sunset photo, learn how to control exposure more so that it isn't the camera that takes the decision of how to expose from you, read up on composition, look at many many photos of others (in books, on line, in galleries), and you'll get there.

Have fun on TPF!

8. nossie

nossie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like 2 the best but I like trains. However I'd have cropped in tighter to let the viewer feel just how big that sucka is, I would want to feel the ground vibrating. I would suggest you crop in to about 2 lamp posts on the left and get rid of all that empty pavement (unless you're looking for a place to add text or an insert). This empty pavement space is bigger than the train. If we get rid of the space then the train is BIG and is put in proportion by the people.

16 you need to learn about adjusting the levels in photoshop to bring the man in to light. Also I would have waited until the man had walked out to the right. I find the stones lead me into the picture but when I get to the end there is nothing there so my eyes are flickering for something to hold on to. Definately go back and try again, you'll get something from it.

15 might have worked if you got lower to the ground and got some grass in the foreground, or maybe those branches at the water in some attractive way. Don't forget to move things about (including yourself) to suit your photo.

All the sunsets do nothing for me. There's no POW! in them. Nothing to hold your attention like the big fat train coming at you. The one with the guitar had a chance but it's not balanced out very well, I would try a few different positions for both of you since there seems to be something scruffy coming out of the back of the guitar, maybe him 10 feet left (if possible) and you 20.

Ray.

9. harleygirl239

harleygirl239 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    2 & 6 are my favorites but Steph is right watch your horizons. You've got a good eye just practice practice practice, now what would you rather do practice photography or work?