Ice Boating

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some ice boaters came out to the local lake today, so I decided to try my hand at panning the camera (you know, sharp subject blurry background). It's harder that I expected it to be - I kept jumping a bit forward or backward, but a monopod helped a bit. Takes practice I guess, but I was happy with some of them.

4264175523_e5a6041350_o.jpg

c&c always appreciated.

Working with trains I've had some chances to practice with panning, and one thing I noticed (may be strictly trains) is my pictures seem to come out in focus if I snap the picture when they're directly in front of me.

Taking the pic when they're still to the left or right seemed to produce an "exploded" effect... like if you shoot at something and then zoom out.

Might help, might not... worth a shot. :)

Working with trains I've had some chances to practice with panning, and one thing I noticed (may be strictly trains) is my pictures seem to come out in focus if I snap the picture when they're directly in front of me.

Taking the pic when they're still to the left or right seemed to produce an "exploded" effect... like if you shoot at something and then zoom out.

In the case of a train, this may be due to the length, and the fact that the image will be focused in a plane, so as you go further along the length of the train it becomes more out of focus.

OP: Great shot, pan looks good and gives the desired sense of motion.

I never knew there was such a sport as 'ice boating', but then I do come from a country with no ice ;)

Yes, worth a shot. It's stayed cold here so the ice boats should be on the lake again this weekend, I can practice more.
What you say makes sense - I'm sure there's some science behind it but I can see what you mean in my head. As someone else wrote it may have to do with the length or the train (different parts seeming to move at different speeds based on distance), but definitely worth trying this weekend. Thanks.

mom2eight said:
That is to cool! Nicely done.

Thank you, mom2eight. (eight kids or until 8:00?)

The Empress said:
Very nicely done!!!!

Thank you Empress.

fokker said:
In the case of a train, this may be due to the length, and the fact that the image will be focused in a plane, so as you go further along the length of the train it becomes more out of focus.

OP: Great shot, pan looks good and gives the desired sense of motion.

I never knew there was such a sport as 'ice boating', but then I do come from a country with no ice

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it's a sport. We don't see too much of it around here either, it doesn't often get cold enough to freeze the lake anymore. It looks like a lot of fun tho.

Yes, worth a shot. It's stayed cold here so the ice boats should be on the lake again this weekend, I can practice more.
What you say makes sense - I'm sure there's some science behind it but I can see what you mean in my head. As someone else wrote it may have to do with the length or the train (different parts seeming to move at different speeds based on distance), but definitely worth trying this weekend. Thanks.
What it is, is when the train is off to your right or left, it appears smaller because it's farther away. It gets bigger the closer it gets... so if you snap a picture, then it gets bigger, you basically just zoomed in on the train. When they're right in front of you, they're not moving towards or away from you, therefore no change in observed size.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back