If ET Did Selfies...

Fun ! You having fun.

When I was a young man, I worked summers at a drive-in theatre. I ran the movie E.T. more times than I can count. Every single night the place was packed with car loads of people. People LOVED the movie E.T.!!!!

When I was a young man, I worked summers at a drive-in theatre. I ran the movie E.T. more times than I can count. Every single night the place was packed with car loads of people. People LOVED the movie E.T.!!!!

I must confess to never having seen the film personally, which in itself stands testimony to its impact since I am aware of the glowing digit. I have also never seen Bambi: I am a bad person.

Welllll, we'll give you a "pass" on not having seen Bambi...that is a crusty old film that Disney Corp. used to keep locked in vaults for seven-year stretches at a time! But E.T. oh myyy, you've never seen E.T. The ExtraTerrestrial? Wow! (lol) It was an interesting film, and it seemed to offer something for multiple age groups, from the smallest kids, to the oldest grandparents. It was strange...I took a young date to see ET on its first weekend, I think it was the very summer I graduated from high school, and we sat up in the balcony of an old, 1920-'s vaudeville house/movie theatre, which when built was the largest one on the west coast between Seattle and San Francisco, Salem, Oregon's old Elsinore Theater.

We sat upstairs, in the balcony...it had been very hot that week, over 100 degrees for several days in a row...my date and I sat through the movie silently, shirts unbuttoned in SWELTERING heat, high above some 600 seated people in an old, non air-conditioned building in the middle of a heat wave. After the movie we were like, "Ehhhh, not very good." Little did we know it would go on to be a huge, mega-blockbuster movie that summer. We had been sooooooooooo uncomfortable during the show that our perceptions of it had been definitely colored by the extreme heat in the entire theater.

Oddly enough, I saw Bambi as a little boy in that same old theater, I want to say in 1968 or 1969....I was five or six years old.

Welllll, we'll give you a "pass" on not having seen Bambi...that is a crusty old film that Disney Corp. used to keep locked in vaults for seven-year stretches at a time! But E.T. oh myyy, you've never seen E.T. The ExtraTerrestrial? Wow! (lol) It was an interesting film, and it seemed to offer something for multiple age groups, from the smallest kids, to the oldest grandparents. It was strange...I took a young date to see ET on its first weekend, I think it was the very summer I graduated from high school, and we sat up in the balcony of an old, 1920-'s vaudeville house/movie theatre, which when built was the largest one on the west coast between Seattle and San Francisco, Salem, Oregon's old Elsinore Theater.

We sat upstairs, in the balcony...it had been very hot that week, over 100 degrees for several days in a row...my date and I sat through the movie silently, shirts unbuttoned in SWELTERING heat, high above some 600 seated people in an old, non air-conditioned building in the middle of a heat wave. After the movie we were like, "Ehhhh, not very good." Little did we know it would go on to be a huge, mega-blockbuster movie that summer. We had been sooooooooooo uncomfortable during the show that our perceptions of it had been definitely colored by the extreme heat in the entire theater.

Oddly enough, I saw Bambi as a little boy in that same old theater, I want to say in 1968 or 1969....I was five or six years old.

Nice story! I googled the Elsinore in Salem - very impressive and I can imagine that watching films there must add to the experience. These days cinemas tend to be somewhat generic, sterile even.

You have whetted my appetite and I shall take a look for a DVD of the film (poor substitute admittedly) in the local shops.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back