If I Could Only Pick One Lens....

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Alan Ellis, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I carry my camera in the mountains/backcountry on multi-day hikes or climbs. I really only want to carry one lens, so I need one that is fairly versatile.

Right now, I have the 18 - 70mm kit lens, but I need one with more zoom. I was originally thinking about buying 70-300mm, but then I would have to carry two lens.

So now I'm thinking that a 18-200mm would fit the bill and would give me nearly the zoom I'm looking for, but also the wide-angle ability of 18mm.

Any thoughts or suggestions on my thought process or what would be the best lens to fit my needs?

Thanks for the help.

AE

2. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The usual scenario is that a lens with a wide focal length range (zoom)...will have compromises in image quality. If you are OK with that, then something like an 18-200mm lens might be a good fit for you. If image quality is higher on the list, you may have to make the compromise and carry more lenses.

4. mallard

mallard TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If I were limited to one lens it would be a 35mm SMC-A Pentax. Im not sure if they made it as a macro or not but that would be a plus. I dont have one of these lenses but I am looking all over for one.

I like how the old rangefinder cameras usually had a 35 or 43mm lens.