If I was to get a flash for my camera tomorrow

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
where should I go? and for my NikonD3000 what should I get?

Not too expensive, but not cheapie either.

This will be for fill flash and some studio flash was well.

SB600

And that's from a Canon guy.

ok thanks!
200 dollars! argh! why did I pick such an expensive hobby?

The 600 is my suggestion too. You may eventually want more power (900) or a second flash.

As far as where to go, I am not familiar with your area, if you can wait, check Amazon or B&H Photo. Often they will be cheaper than a local shop.

Canon guy speaks truth! News at 11. the SB-600 is a good speedlight to start with. :thumbup:

Strobed (flash) light looks best if it comes from somewhere off the longitudinal (long) axis of the lens, or somewhere other than the camera's hot shoe.

Also with practice, it's not to hard to manually adjust a speedlight.

The SB-600 can be adjusted from full power down to 1/64th power and when mounted on the hot shoe can be used in automated modes that certainly light a scene, fill or other wise, just in a way that is kind of flat and not real artistic.

There are less expensive speedlights that are less expensive because they can't communicate with the camera to do the automatic stuff. Plus some of them can't be manually adjusted in as wide a range of power settings.

Most of us that use strobed light a lot use everything in manual anyway so we have total control of the light in a scene we are shooting. (cameras aren't very artisticly inclined all by themselves.)

But, I have a SB-600, and a SB-800 (replaced by the SB-900), and 6 Vivitar 285HV's.

Visit Strobist: Lighting 101 and start learning about OCF (Off-Camera-Flash).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back