If only cameras could talk!

Rob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ukphotographs.com
My new toy is a 1935 Zeiss Ikonta Super BII8 530/16 6x9 - thanks for the suggestion Mitica!

I've just finished cleaning it and it now opens like it is brand new! I wonder where it's been for the last seventy years?

not my picture (mine's slightly better condition)
ikonta_superB.big.gif

thats awesome, I've came across a couple really old camera's, I would love to clean them, and get them in working order.

robhesketh said:
My new toy is a 1935 Zeiss Ikonta Super BII8 530/16 6x9 [/img]

Typo? The pictured camera (Super Ikonta B) is a 6x6. A 6x9 would be an Ikonta C ( A=6x4.5, B=6x6, and C=6x9 ). Fantastic camera anyway! I've been looking at them also. I have a much less sophisticated Ansco Titan, which is a 6x6 folder, and an older Ikonta C 6x9 that I shoot with. I love them both.

ksmattfish said:
Typo? The pictured camera (Super Ikonta B) is a 6x6. A 6x9 would be an Ikonta C ( A=6x4.5, B=6x6, and C=6x9 ). Fantastic camera anyway! I've been looking at them also. I have a much less sophisticated Ansco Titan, which is a 6x6 folder, and an older Ikonta C 6x9 that I shoot with. I love them both.

This concurs exactly with the web research I've done......... However, when you read the embossed exterior and interior of the camera, it stated that it's the model I listed and that it is 6x9. Measuring the springy plate thingy (technical term eludes me) it is definately 6x9 size - 5.5ishcm x 8.5ishcm. The metal inside says 6x9, it takes 11 shots (from memory according to the counter) and the outside says BII8 530/16. From the quality and condition of the external leather stuff I would bet that the hinge-door has not been changed, so I suspect I and the camera are correct.

The shape of the one in the picture matches mine moreorless exactly, but I sold my POS Olympus digital compact (c600?) for £200, so I'm quids in as it were; but I can't take a quick web picture of it to show everyone. I bargained the man from £175 to £100 plus a couple of reels of film, but I don't care about the cost - I love it already!!!

I would say from cleaning it that it's fantastically made and has a lovely smooth feeling action. The bellows appear very good and are still quite springy so I would assume they've been changed. The lens is stunningly clean and the external coating appears to be a single coated type (slight green hue in natural light at an oblique angle). The internals were a little grubby and there was a touch of rust on some parts which I've gently removed. The viewfinders had that yellowy brown nastiness, probably cigarette tar, but this came off nicely with a touch of pure alcohol.

As you know, I'm absolutely no expert in classic cameras, folding or otherwise and I'm really looking forward to getting a reel through it. I'm going to Brighton tomorrow to have a crack and I shall post the results (if they come out!). I'm going to use Fuji colour film to make sure colour and focus are accurate.

I've used my personal guestimates and I reckon the rangefinder is completely spot-on, so it looks promising. I have a three month warranty and a friendship with the man who sold it if it's really bad, but I feel like I already have a relationship with the camera and it's not going to go back unless things go terribly wrong!

Watch this space!

Rob

I'm sure it will take great shots! I love these old folders.

You can only get 8 6x9 frames on a roll of 120. Measure the size of the opening that the film pressure plate would rest against with the back closed.

This is what all the Zeiss Ikonta 6x9s I've seen look like

ikontac.jpg

With the lens door opening down the length of the body.

Well it's a mystery until I take some pics then! Mine is vertical plane, not horizontal, so it seems likely that it should be 6x6, however, it's very clear from the embossed metal and the pressure plate that it's 6x9! I'll let you know on Saturday night!

R

I don't know my history and dates well enough, but while researching Zeiss Ikonta stuff I've run into stories about weird variations that were produced during and around WWII. You may have something unique.

It looks awesome, Rob! :thumbup: Can't wait to see how it performs for you.

I have developed a love for these older cameras. It's astounding what craftsmanship went into them - a little CLA and they are capable of producing amazing negatives. The quality is superb on so many of them.

I keep thinking I need to pick up a cheap digicam for quick web images, too - but every time I look at them, I get the feeling they'll be in the landfill within 5 years, and I just can't bring myself to do it! :lol:

It's got bags of personality and quality engineering.

I love it for the same reason I love my Porsche 944 and hated my Subaru Impreza WRX P1 - it's never the outright performance, it's the relationship, fun and results (and how likely you are to get it out and use it).

robhesketh said:
It's got bags of personality and quality engineering.
...it's never the outright performance, it's the relationship, fun and results (and how likely you are to get it out and use it).

My thoughts exactly!! My favorite folder is my Ansco Titan. It doesn't have the very best lens, but the photos are still amazing, and I can carry it in my back pocket. It's not appropriate for all situations, but it's a great camera to wander around town with or go on a hike. These cameras simplify the role of the camera, and put most of the photography back into the mind of the photographer.

So, it's definately 6x6 then! Well, I'm astonished at the quality - it puts my Nikon to shame. It was very easy to use - no cock-ups on my first roll! Some of the negs came together, but I suspect this was due to me not winding on properly.

Anyway, here they are (300Kbish each):

ikonta1.jpg

Road near where I live - nice houses

ikonta2.jpg

The view from Beckenham Sainsburys car park

ikonta3.jpg

Beckenham Hospital and playing fields

ikonta4.jpg

More Beckenham

ikonta5.jpg

Pete

ikonta6.jpg

Pete again

ikonta7.jpg

My car

ikonta8.jpg

My car again

Simply A-W-E-S-O-M-E !!! Congrats on the big purchase, you will be very happy with it.

Yes, there were many variations on these Super Ikontas and I have seen my share of mis-numbered Zeiss cameras. But it's a B by all means, even if it mentions 6x9.

Congrats again mate!

Oh, BTW... nice car yo! :)

Most reactions

Back