The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This was brought up on another thread in some joking manner but I think it may be a good idea sooooo...

If you are willing to work one on one by email or PM with a less experienced photographer why not add your terms and conditions here.

I suggest anyone wanting to be 'adopted' as a Noob, query the volunteers by PM. I suggest any potential Noobs review the pictures and comments posted by any possible mentor.

Seeing it's my idea, I'll go first. And even if no one is willing to become a mentor, my offer is still good.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

My interests: I love travel and walk-around photography. I like to find the beautiful, interesting, colorful things around me and isolate them in an image.
When I take pictures of people, whenever possible, I like them to fully engage the camera rather than be being spied upon.

My cameras I have graduated from 35mm film through medium format film to DSLR but I don't think that the equipment is the most important part of photography.

My experience in photography A good long time in film and 3 years in digital. I know zippo about formal portraits and have not had a great deal of success with landscapes but I keep trying the latter.

My experience/abilities with post processing I use PS CS2 and consider myself fairly good with it. I think that post-processing is part of the artistic process but I don't think that tricks and fancy filter effects are.

What I am willing to do I would be happy to look lots of images and comment on them in depth and, as much as I am able, help the 'Noob', to work through photographic or post-processing issues.

My strengths IMO, I have a good-great eye for composition and balance

My weaknesses
A complete and total lack of humility

For how long
Although there is no practical reason to set a time limit (I don't intend to die anytime soon), I think that these relationships, like marriages, are best for a fixed period of time, after which we can both go on to fresher viewpoints. I suggest one month at a time or so.

This is an interesting idea, and I would jump in if my life currently was more predictable in terms of time-management. However, I cannot afford to devote myself to such a "relationship" as I cannot predict if I will have plenty of time, or simply no time at all ... things are always changeing quickly here...

But any noob can always approach me by PM if there is a particular question.

I am no expert at studio and portrait work, but have some experience in outdoor/travel photography and a wee bit in architectural photography.

this is like one of those mail order bride things :hug::

I figured it would be good to post as a noob on this thread as well, that way people aren't swamped with PMs. Maybe we can play matchmaker and see that both parties are interested in each other and their work before "committing".

I'm a noob that needs a mentor. I've been at it with an AE-1 for 2 months, and I'm hoping that my wife will let me buy a digital SLR after we move into our first house in May.

I live in Colorado Springs and am obsessed with landscape & nature, so that is what I shoot (for now). I also love B&W and hope to do a lot of that (digitally). I eventually want to sell my work (probably just for enjoyment in homes and offices, not magazines etc.)

I just need someone to answer the questions too dumb to place on the forum! Also, it be nice if when I post a picture there is someone who would be willing to play with it and make it look better and tell me the why's and how's. Someone who is willing to tell me that the picture is crap, or amazing. I'm new & learning, but I want to be critiqued at the high expectation that a pro would be at.

So. Annnnnnnnny takers? :cheers:

I am always available to anyone who has a problem or a query.
Advice, help, information or a practical crit. Or a discussion on the more abstruse points of Photography.
I have run many beginners classes as well as advanced stuff so don't worry yourself thinking your question is dumb. If you don't know how to do something (even if it's taking the lens cap off) or if there is something you don't understand then asking someone is the first step to knowledge. And we were all on the bottom rung once.
Just don't ask me 'what camera should I buy' or 'what does this button do?' type questions :lol:

Might I suggest to the moderators, if this takes off (as I think it very well might) it may warrant it's own section.

The whole "matchmaking" aspect of it could be quite complicated, and hopefully, people will at some point graduate from "noob" to "mentor".

This could be a lot of fun.

i love both ideas! from snappin and traveler! you guys are awesome and definitely dedicated to alllll aspects of photography - from the beautiful photographs to helping a newbie attempting to learn!

Ahhh yes, I remember the post Lostprophet made when he was bored and musing about adopting a noob (at http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74350) ....that was the seed of this mentoring idea (I like to give credit where credit is due). Who'd have thought the idea would sprout so quickly?

Mods? Morydd's suggestion of a separate section has been thrown out there...any takers?

Good idea LP. :thumbup: Interested to see what the mods think.

The idea seems fantastic. It would be awesome to have a mentor.
Unfortunatelly, at the moment I don't have a lot of freedom to choose what to do with my time and in order to take the oportunity, I'd like to be able to give enough time.

I'm always available to answer questions and helpout via pm or email, but like others have echoed, I don't think I could "schedule" something regular in my life right now.

I am available for Q&A really anytime... via PM here or on my site... and email... no question is too big or small... and the only ones that are stupid are the ones left unasked...

As per my genres I include but not limited to...

Transportation Photography
Nature Photography
-Macro
-Birds
-Animals
Extreme Sports Photography

But really any genre (except weddings or studio) I have dabbled in at least a little...

Most reactions

Back