If you could pick one..

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by sincere, Jul 16, 2006.

1. sincere

sincere TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    now that you have "advanced" and assumingly know what your needs are, what camera and equipment would you get if you could?

2. JJP

JJP TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ohhh don't get me started, this thread is just here to tempt me to get a loan lol.

3. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have all that I need.

4. sincere

sincere TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wich is? I am just curious, trying to see what peopleĀ“s needs are and where they end.

5. Funkyflame

Funkyflame TPF Noob!

I love my camera ... but I will a flash and a telelens *it coust 1400€, it`s to expensive for me*

6. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Since you asked, and I'd guess I'm probably on the fringe of the amateur group. It's probably far, far more normal to yearn for a particular piece of gear.

About a dozen 35mm's [slrs & rangefinders], lenses from 24 to 400mm, extension tubes, filters. 6x6cm TLR's. Light meters, tripods, flash, etc. Darkroom gear. Accumulated over 50 years. Cameras all operated in battery-free manual mode. I won't bother with names. Beyond a certain minimum level of quality, brands of gear really don't matter very much to me.

I make prints only for my own walls. Film, B&W. My main difficulty is in finding the time to do so. As far as free time goes, I'm often bankrupt. Too many other duties and interests.

In life, you'll often find that when you have the time, you don't have the money. The reverse, unfortunately, is also true. If either applies to you at the moment, don't despair -- it's just Life's way of teaching us humility.

7. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Digital version of all the really cool cameras out there, especially MF. There are too many to name, but I've mentioned some in other threads.

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The more "advanced" I get, the more I realize that I only want new gear, I don't really need it. That said, I'd really like a Canon 5D DSLR, and a Graflex RB Super D 4x5 SLR.

http://www.graflex.org/articles/series-d/

9. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with Matt...it's no longer about what I think I "need", only about things I think I "want". :lol:

I'm almost afraid to admit this, but lately LF is starting to draw me in. Just from a small amount of reading, if I felt like throwing some money around for a new toy - and a whole new world of shooting, processing and printing - I'd look at getting a Tachihara 4x5. Main reason is its relatively light weight. I enjoy landscape photography, and have an enlarger that accomodates it, so I could convince myself. And....it's so purdy..... :lol:

But really, for the most part I have a fine assortment of cameras and don't get to play with them all enough as it is. So I also feel the need to just focus more on becoming a better printer. I love the craft, but ugh! I'm still such a beginner. :razz:

10. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Terri, you can get a Super Graphic with a great lens for about the same money as a Tachihara body only. Not as cute, but 10 times more bullet proof, and probably just as light weight. No back movements, but pretty much full front movements. Both myself, and a LF landscape buddy of mine started out with Speed Graphics, went to fancier, more expensive field cameras, and now we are both back using our Super Speed Graphics for landscape photography.

11. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Really?? I've been drawn to the ones that brag about being light weight. I'm almost scared to really start investigating, because that would mean admitting I have a problem. :lol:

12. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Go for it Terri. You know you want to! :badangel: