IF you could... Would you?

Holly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IF you could afford a camera like the Nikon D2x would you get it?? I was browsing online today for another camera and I came across this one.. ITS way out of my price range.> Its also the price where Id have to go IN store to test this bad boy out MYSELF...

SO those of you who are loving your Nikons.. Would you LOVE a camera like this?

Most of us "on-line photography forum junkies" are gear heads. That is, we like to talk about the best and latest gear...and of course, if we could own the best...then we would love to, whether we need it or not.

I'm sure the D2X is a fantastic camera...but it's made for the rigors of professional use. It's a tool for someone who's livelihood depends on their camera. I don't know too much about Nikon cameras, but Canon's pro series cameras are built like tanks and are sealed against dust & rain. I assume that Nikon is similar. Now is that something that you would pay for?

Remember, that won't necessarily make your photos any better. "It's the photographer, not the camera"

A skilled, experienced photographer could most likely take better photos with a point & shoot, than you or I could with a D2X.

Big Mike said:
Most of us "on-line photography forum junkies" are gear heads. That is, we like to talk about the best and latest gear...and of course, if we could own the best...then we would love to, whether we need it or not.

I'm sure the D2X is a fantastic camera...but it's made for the rigors of professional use. It's a tool for someone who's livelihood depends on their camera. I don't know too much about Nikon cameras, but Canon's pro series cameras are built like tanks and are sealed against dust & rain. I assume that Nikon is similar. Now is that something that you would pay for?

Remember, that won't necessarily make your photos any better. "It's the photographer, not the camera"

A skilled, experienced photographer could most likely take better photos with a point & shoot, than you or I could with a D2X.

true...

Yes, if money was not an issue I would. I shoot mostly film with my Nikon F100 and it cost me a lot of money two years ago. It is a great camera and I love it. If I was to by a new digital today it would be the Nikon D70, more in my price range and keeping with the features of the F100.

O would I get it??? WEll it all depends I Guess.. RIght now NO.. Im just beginning... This camera is way to expensive for someone like*ME* who doesnt have a clue in the world about *serious* Photography... Let alone a camera such as that.. I was just browsing, saw it and got curious is all...

I Agree... Its the photographer NOT the camera.. Its all in the practice...

I did, but not a Nikon. I went for the Canon

I shoot with a D2X and love it. Would I do it again? Yep!

If within by budget, would I buy a new Nikon D2X?

Likely not. It’s a fine piece of gear, no question about that… But it’s too heavy for my flavor of photography. I would instead purchase a D200 and spend the remainder of cash on some fast, quality glass.

I've moved from the D30.. to D60.. the to the 10D.. and now the 1d mark II. All of those cameras were bought used and resold to gather funds for the next. Each decision was based on something about the current camera that either hindered or annoyed me and the next resolved. So am I going to the 1d markIIn, 5D, or 1ds mark II??? Nope.. there's nothing about the 1d mark II that I'm unhappy with... therefor I would get the D2x nor another canon DSLR even if I could afford to.

Then again... unlimited funds in the bank can easily change one's mindset on expenditure.

Money is best spend on the lenses anyways.

If money was no object I would probably get a D200 in the Nikon flavor or 5D in the Canon flavor. Then pick up a digitial back for my medium format cameras. I have a Nikon D50 and Canon 20D. Happy with both but still learning them.

Big Mike said:

I agree with you up to a point there, however there are just some basic facts about a camera like that, that even if you didnt know anything other than a basic SLR like the equivalent of a 350D, youd still get something out of it.

Striving to buy one of the Canon equivalent of this one, and to be honest I wouldnt call myself an out and out proffessional, but there are restrictions on my 350D that I wouldnt have with such a thing in my job.

That's true, especially of digital cameras. Higher end (and/or newer models) have better sensor technology, better electronics, better firmware etc. But in most scenarios that I can think of, a good photographer can do just about any thing they would need to do...with an entry level DSLR.

However, I bought the 20D over the Rebel XT because I liked it better...even though the image quality is very, very similar with those two cameras.

Most reactions

Back