If you don't shoot street photography why not?

I don't shoot street stuff because

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do it if I see something worth photographing but its rare.

There doesn't seem to be a response that says; "I need to be in the mood, which I'm not very often".
Thats because the poll is for people who DONT do street ... ?

I love street photography and I always go out and shoot it. The problem is, my attention span is so short that I end up
ROTFL

I dunno. just doing light trails last week I got some funny looks by passers by.....

While I have seen some interesting shots I just don't have any reason to fill space on my hard drive with shots like this. I guess it would take an incredible amount of experience and patience to get something that would be appreciated by others.

Last edited:
Should be an option "No streets around".

Seriously, it is often very difficult to shoot street in a rural area. You just go out and nothing happens. Nothing. And do not tell this guy he is not looking. Because he is. But a photographer is only as good as the scene he can find. I am lucky in that respect, I live in London ( if we put aside horrible weather and unfortunate lighting conditions 300 days a year) .

I personally find street by far the most exiting, intellectually stimulating and probably most challenging genre in photography, and the question "Why don't you shoot street?" sounds natural indeed.

But one can not shoot street in the middle of a cornfield.

It's illegal in Germany :apologetic:

No time to walk around the streets.

Not much around here to shoot for street anyway. But i wouldn't go further in the sticks . Take a photo of the wrong persons methlab you bound to be in some chit. Gotta watch those woodland landscape pics. Some crazy hillbillys out in those there woods.

I don't think it's actually illegal here, but it is a rather complicated and grey area and you need to be sure and informed about what you can and can't do. Camera magazine (4/2014) contains a helpful and informative article pertaining to street photography in Germany.

I don't think it's actually illegal here, but it is a rather complicated and grey area and you need to be sure and informed about what you can and can't do. Camera magazine (4/2014) contains a helpful and informative article pertaining to street photography in Germany.
I'm planing to go there in three year's time to trace my family's history. I plan to take photographs of any interesting grave markers that have a family connection. Also streets themselves, but probably without recognizable people in the shots.

I used to not shoot street very much. I just felt it was always pretty awkward with a big dSLR. I did a little bit here and there, but what I did was mostly with my iPhone. Then I got a Lumix LX7 and started doing some and had started to get hooked. Then I killed that thing trying to take pictures in a torrential downpour at Shaky Knees Music Fest. Again, didn't do much. Now that I've gotten back into the "photographer's point and shoot" game with the Fuji X100T, I'm backed to being hooked again.

It's really freaking hard though.

I take a few approaches:

1) shoot from the hip. Like have the camera hanging from the strap by my side and covertly tap the shutter release without looking through the viewfinder at all

2) shoot the scene at a distance. Don't get much in the way of faces, but you can get some big picture atmosphere.

3) talk to the people.act naturally and shoot through the viewfinder.

4) Set up camp in front of what I think is a nice background, get my frame setup, wait for something interesting to walk into the background and then use the wifi remote control app on my iphone to focus and capture anybody who walks into the frame of the X100T.

I'm planing to go there in three year's time to trace my family's history. I plan to take photographs of any interesting grave markers that have a family connection. Also streets themselves, but probably without recognizable people in the shots.

If you can speak/read German, I'll scan the article for you, otherwise I can translate the main points (might take a day or two) and PM you the info.

In my younger days I did a lot of street photography and I loved it. I don't do it any more because I am now have more respect for people privacy and I don't want to upset anyone. Also today people are much more paranoid when photographed than years ago.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find it. As far as I know the person may not be the main subject of the scene. So even if you photograph someone in a public place, and hey are recognizable, and are the 'main subject' you won't be able to use the photo without their permission. Of course nothing stops you from taking the photo and having it on your computer, but publishing/uploading it could get you in trouble.

I can't do "street" shooting because there are no Streets in my City

Just Roads, Boulevards and stuff :(

Most reactions

Back