If you had 1000$

barsfordays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
And were looking to get a Nikon camera, and lense, for mostly portraits, what would it be?

I have a d40 but all i keep hearing is it's not good enough, so i'm a little lost.

If it works for you, who cares what you keep hearing.

$1000 for body and lens.

Nikon D90 or D5000 with the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D or Sigma 18-50 f/2.8

Unless that $1K is sitting in the discretionary pile, keep what you have. The D40 is capable.

Well i know the d40 has significantly less MP than some higher end cameras, however that doesn't trouble me that much. But is it capable of images that are senior portait quality?

Pick up some glass keep the body. Don't listen to what people say. If it's capable to you then it's a capable camera. Until you outgrow it and feel that you "need" more not "want" more stick with it and get some nice glass. GL
TJ

Keep the camera and get some glass. It is fine for Portraits with correct lighting.
Anything else find a D90 kit.

I'm partial to the D90, and a Body only + 50mm f/1.8 purchase would work for you.

EDIT:

TJ you're jockin my style!!!!

If you must:
D90 and Sigma 18-50 f/2.8
I would rather the option of those focal lengths than a faster prime like a 1.8
@2.8 you can get some very creative things going on anyways, 1.8 is not necessary.

I gotta learn how to make an avatar or change some colors.

You've got the right lens, except the one you linked is for an Olympus, not your Nikon.

Like has been said, don't upgrade from your D40 just because of what you hear about it. Upgrade when you need to upgrade; when you've outgrown the D40 or can recognize (and use) the benefits of a higher-end camera and the additional features that they have. Better lenses and lighting will go much farther, and the Sigma EX f/2.8 is a great lens.

If you need some D40 inspiration, poke through here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...lery/182989-post-your-nikon-d40-pictures.html

poc.jpg

If I had $1,000 to spend and I wanted to shoot senior portraits, I would look into getting a few very good pieces of LIGHTING and GRIP equipment. I would want a 400 watt-second Speedotron power pack, three fan-free convection-cooled light heads, two 45 in ch quality umbrellas, one medium sized 36-inch softbox, and two HEAVY, steel-based Avenger turtle-based light stands, and a Tronix Explorer 1200 pure sine wave inverter/battery. I would buy this stuff used off of eBay,and spend $300 for the lights and $379 for the battery/sine wave inverter, and shoot portraits with whatever lens I could afford--on my D40. You'd then have an indoor studio/outdoor location studio with quality lighting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back