If you had $30,000 to spend...

hmm....
mac pro and a big monitor,
1d mkIII (or wait until the mkIV),
some lovely new L glass
couple of flashes, PW's
trampoline
bottle of schnapps.

save the rest up for a car, probably a nice datsun 1200 coupe or a 280z.
then paint it matte black, possibly chalkboard paint.

All that stuff and I could not help but bust out laughing at the TRAMPOLINE????

I am a retard but that is funny to me mixed in with all the other stuff!
well... who doesnt like trampolines?

my first thought was :O MONEY!!! CAMERA
STUFF N LOADS OF IT!!!!
then i thought again and realised my dream of becoming a billionaire so my next thought was MONEY!!!!! LOADS MORE MONEY!!!!!! ILL BUY A HOUSE RENT IT FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS AND ILL HAVE ABOUT £36000 (+6000) AHH TO HELL WITH THAT!!!
ILL JUST PUT IT IN THE STOCK MARKET! or become a money launderer and charge 20% interest meaning for every £100 i give out i get £20 back per every fortnight they "forget" to pay me and by my own analysis i see most people "forget" for about 3 months which gives me a profit of around... £120 for every £100 i give out :p
not really btw...
id probably open a shop and rent floor space, here i can buy a shop for £70 a week and can fit about 3 - 4 people in, charge them £50 per 3 days (so if they wanna work 6 days they give me £100) then any money they make is theirs... Grossing me a profit of around £300 a week
but Netting me a profit of £250 (for electricity bills)

I might also just donate it depending how i got it, if i earned it, i would keep, if i won it in a lottery i would donate about 25%

Last edited:
I'd get myself into the alternative processes that I really want to try: photogravure and daguerretype. Workshops tend to be quite costly - around $700 - $1200. Then I'd get all the necessary photographic and darkroom equipment necessary for it, as well a decent studio setup and enjoy shooting.

I would try to keep to whole photography expenses below $10000, or at least $15000.

$30K is a nice deposit for a couple of houses - but with my luck, housing market will drop even further :(

I figure camera stuff will only devalue over time. But put the money into something that is already devalued (real estate), by time the 1DsIV or 1DsV comes out, there will be more cash to spend.

... ten years ago ... 1DIII + 600 f/2.8L + Gitzo and Wimberly Head set up ...

I'd buy 30,000 fish tacos . . . .

. . . not all at once. Seriously though, it'd go into debt payoff and a down payment on a house or condo.

Not enough for a Hassleblad so it'll have to go in the bank.

Me? I'd move out. $30000 is a good downpayment with monies left over for a $500 Sony Trinitron TV.

:lmao:

I haven't checked in in a few days...I'm just now seeing all of this.

Yeah - I would do things much differently today...
(And it was actually closer to $40,000 counting the interest I made during the short time I invested it.)

A stupid TV really is the only thing I still have from all that money...
People say that money doesn't buy happiness, but having $30,000 cash in your hands sure does put a smile on your face... Temporarily at least.

If I had that today, owning what I own now - I would pay off my car and all other debts and either invest the rest or use it as a down payment on a house (not sure if that would be enough...).

A TV?!?!?!

Boys.... :er:

not just boys... all the other girls at work spend their money on trips down south and clothes/purses/shoes...

I buy electronics... I love the thrill on a new shiney toy :mrgreen:

True. I've got plenty of friends like that. and I'll admit, I shop like a boy. But a smart, frugal one :greenpbl:

I love electronics, but I never just go out and buy anythings. I research the crap out of everything before I spen a penny.

As to what I'd do wth that kind of cash...

I'd like to say that I'd invest it, and make it grow. Then I'd budget so that I could have a smallish shopping spree, gift my parents, donate to some choice charities, and pay off university loans - not necessarily in that order. Possibly a vehicle too. But the majority would remain in savings or invested.

definitely pay it off the mortgage, the whole 30g's. Tax man would not a get his crumby hands on a single cent. If I spent more on camera stuff, I would not be around to enjoy it.

Most reactions

Back