If Your Phone Is So Good, Do You Still Need a 'Real' Camera?

These hypotheticals are simply ludicrous! It is as if photographers are eagerly waiting to ditch their equipment in favor of any "simple" tool that "does everything" and will render their current cameras obsolete. These sort of articles are aimed at the common snapshooter folk who may perhaps do just that, and not the enthusiasts like myself and many here. I choose to purposely shoot with outdated and "antique" equipment for the thrill and the enjoyment of the process. The idea that I would want to eliminate the myriad steps involved: from loading film, to switching manual settings, to developing the film, because a stupid phone has just been released, is simply an insult!

These hypotheticals are simply ludicrous! It is as if photographers are eagerly waiting to ditch their equipment in favor of any "simple" tool that "does everything" and will render their current cameras obsolete. These sort of articles are aimed at the common snapshooter folk who may perhaps do just that, and not the enthusiasts like myself and many here. I choose to purposely shoot with outdated and "antique" equipment for the thrill and the enjoyment of the process. The idea that I would want to eliminate the myriad steps involved: from loading film, to switching manual settings, to developing the film, because a stupid phone has just been released, is simply an insult!
55361290.jpg

What's film?

I just ordered my battery/ vertical grip /hot shoe attachment for my iPhone.
I'm waiting for the attachment ring for my 150-600 to be released.
iPhone all the way!!
:)

And that pretty much sums it up. So could somebody bring out the moose?

Lol
but my iPhone *is* a "real" camera.
It certainly functions like one.

Now a broader definition of "real camera" may come into play ...

such as control of Aperture, Shutter and ISO .. oh wait .. lookie at this as it's been out a few years ==> Manual App Lets You Set Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO

android ==> 4 camera apps that enable manual controls on Android Lollipop

"As more people turn to smartphone cameras for their ease of use, social media sharing capabilities, and cooperation with photo editing apps,.."

"ease of use" is translated from "lack of controls"
"social media sharing" can be done otherwise, albeit through another piece of hardware.
likewise, the same for "cooperation with photo editing aps"

The one thing the article failed to highlight is that most people will carry their phones nearly all the time, whereas not necessarily a real camera.

This year, 2.5 trillion photos will be shared or stored online.
That is a big number.
2,500,000,000,000. That's 6.85 Million photos each day. 285,388 each hour.

Phones have pretty much replaced consumer cheap point and shoot cameras, but I don't think they will replace bridge, advanced compacts or interchangeable lens cameras.

I just downloaded a bunch of photos my wife took on her new iPhone 7 Plus and ran them through lightroom along with photos from my 2007 vintage Leica C-Lux 2 and my Leica D-Lux typ 109. All I looked at were jpg files, I zoomed everything into 100% and looked at the detail. In bright sunlight with the sun to the side or behind the iphone images were reasonable, but those from my C-Lux 2 were still sharper and more detailed than the iphone photos.

Now, RAW from the iPhone may be different, I haven't messed with that yet.

I just downloaded a bunch of photos my wife took on her new iPhone 7 Plus and ran them through lightroom along with photos from my 2007 vintage Leica C-Lux 2 and my Leica D-Lux typ 109. All I looked at were jpg files, I zoomed everything into 100% and looked at the detail. In bright sunlight with the sun to the side or behind the iphone images were reasonable, but those from my C-Lux 2 were still sharper and more detailed than the iphone photos.

Iphone 7 can't even shoot raw natively...you need a third party app. Hahaha.

Iphone 7 can't even shoot raw natively...you need a third party app. Hahaha.
facepalm-cat.jpg

Perhaps that's because it is a phone with a camera attached, not a camera with a phone attached. :biggrin-93:

Most reactions

Back