If you've been asked to do a job and have agreed to do it, should you...

If you've been asked to do a job and have agreed to do it, should you

• pay someone who actually knows what he's doing to do it for you and take a %

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • do it and not care one bit how it comes out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • know how to do it

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • not show up at the shoot and blame it on your pet hedgehog getting an upset stomach and having to ta

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

c.cloudwalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
really be here asking how to do it?

If you come here to ask how to do a job, shouldn't that tell you that, maybe, most probably, you should have turned it down?

Anyway, here's another little stupid poll :lmao:

Should one add that the reason the hedgehog has an upset stomach is that she ate all the memory cards and the flash sync cord?

I just shoot it and ask what I did wrong on this forum

I just shoot it and ask what I did wrong on this forum

:lmao:

Good deal, lol.

You are not going to learn anything this way but you won't be weirded out too much when you actually run into a pro who tells you how things actually work :lmao:

Not my favorite way of doing things but it might work well enough...

Should one add that the reason the hedgehog has an upset stomach is that she ate all the memory cards and the flash sync cord?

Hell no. Don't go into too much details. Especially ones your insurance company would not like.

c.cloudwalker said:
really be here asking how to do it?

If you come here to ask how to do a job, shouldn't that tell you that, maybe, most probably, you should have turned it down?

Anyway, here's another little stupid poll :lmao:

Whoo hooo! another random poll, BTW hedgehogs rule ;)

It doesn't matter if it's Photography or Animal care (sometimes the same?) If you agree to take on a job you better be prepared to complete the task. That said I've had plenty of jobs where I learned on the go, although I think that's a bit difficult with photography.

It doesn't matter if it's Photography or Animal care (sometimes the same?) If you agree to take on a job you better be prepared to complete the task. That said I've had plenty of jobs where I learned on the go, although I think that's a bit difficult with photography.

sometimes the same? That is a very good one. And yes, on this forum, it sometimes feel the same.

Just do it.. nothing photoshop cant fix :)

I was offered a job which was taking me from $18.00 an hour to $155,000.00 a year.

When I was offered the job, I didn't hesitate. I said "yes".The fact that I had only a passing idea how to actually do the job didn't give me a second's pause; I would figure it out. One of the ways I figured it out was to ask advice from those who were already doing the same job.

I've been a membor of countless internet forums over the years, but I'm amazed at the level of vitriol which is directed towards people on this forum who've had the audacity to simply ask for a little advice...

Steve5D said:
I was offered a job which was taking me from $18.00 an hour to $155,000.00 a year.

When I was offered the job, I didn't hesitate. I said "yes".The fact that I had only a passing idea how to actually do the job didn't give me a second's pause; I would figure it out. One of the ways I figured it out was to ask advice from those who were already doing the same job.

I've been a membor of countless internet forums over the years, but I'm amazed at the level of vitriol which is directed towards people on this forum who've had the audacity to simply ask for a little advice...

But most of that little advice can found in the Googles, schools, YouTubes. It's not really the questions, but more importantly the lack of basic research and too little information given that drives people nuts.
If this was a computer forum, and a "noob" wanted to go pro, but ask how to install WinXP or how to burn a disc; you are damn right I would boo and heckle them until my thumb was blistered and sore.

Well, there does seem to be an influx of Help Needed Posting Titles that appear to be Panic Driven.:confused:

But most of that little advice can found in the Googles, schools, YouTubes.

So what?

Here's a news flash: The Photo Forum shows up when you do certain Google searches. So, it meets at least some of the criteria you seem to be setting.

Why shouldn't someone be able to ask basic questions here?

The way I see it, if someone is able to waste the time to hurl vitriol at someone for asking a question, they could've just as easily been helpful in that same time frame.

"Booing and heckling" someone are childish antics. Sure, it's easy to do, and I have to imagine that it makes you feel all fluffy when you get to do it, but why not be helpful? Does it make you feel clever and smart to deride someone who's just looking for a little help? Because, I've got news for you, "clever" and "smart" aren't the first two words that come to mind when I see someone do that.

What do you accomplish by berating someone as opposed to helping them?

At the same time, I have been a "membor" to numerous internet forums over the years for varies trades and hobbies, and by far this one gets some of the most basic questions with very easily found answers, using the same technology used to find this very forum.

Frankly, coming from a generation that DIDN'T have this amazing, instant, ability to do research, I find it mind boggling what needs to be spoon fed these days. Additionally, since these same questions are asked repeatedly on this and other photography forums, it's amazing the number of people that can't take the time to actually browse the forum and find answers to their questions.

Cloud, I think your question is a bit too broad. If your are coming here or to any form with a question like, "I love photography and have been taking pictures for 3 weeks. My friend asked me to shoot her wedding and I said yes. What things should I know?" I think most of us would agree that the person should run, not walk away from the job.

On the other hand if the question is something like, "I have been shooting family portraits for years and am well versed in the craft, however it is beginning to seem like every session is the same thing. Does anyone have suggestions for different posing, techniques etc. that I might try?" Personally to me this is a person that can and is doing the job, is just wanting to improve on what they do and has no reason to turn down a job.

Just my take on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back